Do you use firefly with a SoundBridge

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Do you use firefly with a SoundBridge

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gurgel2
    Participant

Would like to know how many of you use firefly with a soundbridge.

gurgel2
    Participant

Would be intressting to hear your 5 cents how you initiate your playing. Im sortoff given up on using the browse functions the SB supplies. Ive tried a number of freeware programs for controlling the SB, but they didnt really do it for me. The firefly, SB combination really lacks in this sense.

fizze
    Participant

I’ve specifically been buying the SoundBridge because i found the active community and support of firefly. And I think its great.

As for the browsing, I have two suggestions:
    -) Properly tag your music
    -) Smart playlists

If you have many albums of the same artist be sure that the artist is labeled exactly the same. No difference in case, or blanks or hyphens etc. The same goes for the album names. I’ve found mp3tag to be a nice program to manage tags. At least on windows.

Secondy, be sure to use ratings on your music. It sure is a cumbersome task to apply initial ratings to a huge database, but it defintely is worth it.

If you’ve done all above you can truly enjoy smart playlists. For instance all songs with a good rating from the 60ies and 70ies. Or your favorite Jazz. Or christian christmas rap, for that matter ๐Ÿ˜€

stretch
    Participant

i have to agree with fizze, smart playlists & playlists in general make life easy.

i often use the browse function for building ad-hoc playlists and haven’t had any problems with it. You have to remember that right / left jumps to the next / previous letter in the alphabet instead of next / previous list item.

If you’re after something specific then there’s also the search function on the SB

gurgel2
    Participant

I agree with tagging! Smart playlists work now and then… but often I wanna play 2-3 albums + some single songs. Something in the flavour of my current mood. I dont wanna spend 60 button presses on a remote to do that. I should be easy and enjoyable and done in max 20 sec.

Maybe if my motivation could lead me I will hammer such an app.

fizze
    Participant

Well, if you got the tags it can be as easy as “genre = rock and rating > 70”.

What I’m really looking forward to is a feature that allows me to exclude songs that are part of a certain (smart) playlist in another smart playlist.

That way I could set up a playlist with all super-duper-hatred songs and never worry to get them in my easy-listening-rock smart playlist. ๐Ÿ˜‰

mas
    Participant

What I’m really looking forward to is a feature that allows me to exclude songs that are part of a certain (smart) playlist in another smart playlist.

Can that not be done by a
    “AND NOT (-all_conditions_of_other_playlist)”

?

cromei
    Participant

Try using soundbridge commander for your 2+3 album need, it might be what you are looking for. [/quote]

fizze
    Participant

@mas wrote:

Can that not be done by a
    “AND NOT (-all_conditions_of_other_playlist)”

?

If its a SMART playist, yes. But then there is a limit to the queries in a smart playlist. And the performance isnt quite staggering ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’d love to be able to edit the raw SQL of smart playlists anyway, then such joins would be a piece of cake. 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.