Do I ever get this to work

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hoekstone

Well, I tested iTunes to see if Daap is still working well when using iTunes as a server on another computer on my network. And it still is “functioning excellent”… One has kerio installed (the “server”, Kerio showed that it was listening on the right ports and sending on the right port”) and the other has Norton installed (the “client”. Norton showed that every port necessary was allowed to pass) and yes! it showed up in iTunes. So the problem must be in my Linux box. I don’t think something is wrong with my rendezvous etc. things, because in foreground mode mt-daapd said that it was starting… :dry: But I’m gonna check the conf file once more to see if I made any mistakes.

rpedde
    Participant

Yup, I’m with you, it looks like a rendezvous thing.

Stuff to check:

1. do a “ps” on your linux box and make sure there isn’t anything related to mdns running. No mDNSResponder, no mDNSProxyResponder, no nifd, no nothing. You might try uninstalling howl as well (apt-get remove –purge howl).

You said you already downloaded and compiled the apple mdns stuff… let’s use that for testing.

Run this:

mDNSProxyResponderPosix 10.10.10.10 test test _daap._tcp. 3689

You should see a server called “test” pop up in your iTunes. If not, then you have firewall issues.

If it *does* pop up, then….

2. Try making sure your servername is something short with no special characters, plain latin1, no spaces, and, say… less than 8 characters. “test” might be good. 🙂

The length limit should be regular dns length limit, and it should accept utf-8, but let’s start with something simple first.

3. Again, make sure you don’t have any other mdns things running.

4. Use netstat to make sure nothing is listening on udp port 5353 — a double-check on the stopping the mdns stuff.

5. Edit your config file to point the mp3_dir to an empty directory. Then start mt-daapd with a -d9 and a logfile specified in your config file. Let it run a bit, then stop it and take a look at the log file. Hopefully it will tell you something informative.

— Ron

Hoekstone

Well, as I said before in this topic I have already tried mDNSResponderPosix. But I did it again, this is what the console sais:
    mDNSResponder: startQuery – no initialized DNS
    mDNSResponder: ERROR: startQuery – -65545 (keeping question in list for retransmission
    mDNSResponder: hndlLookupSOA: startInternalQuery returned error -65545 (breaking until next periodic retransmission)
    Made Service Records for test._daap._tcp.local.
    Service test._daap._tcp.local. now registered and active

I changed the IP adress to the right one I use on my network (10.0.0.205). It gives a few errors as you can see. It isn’t showing up in iTunes as well. And you said it should be a firewall issue … I told you guys before, I configured them (yes all the firewalls on my network) well and it is also happening when I shut them all off. Also when I use one of the other computers on my network as the server using iTunes itself it works. And I use firestarter as firewall on my linux box and it is also not showing up when I shutted it off.

velociped
    Participant

I can see where this can become quite frustrating, but we really are trying to help you. 🙂

The fact that mDNS is returning errors suggests that there is some sort of issue. What does netstat report? Does it show an “*.mdns” entry under the udp protocol section? Does it show a registered address and inode under the active local sockets section?

It really would help if you could run a sniffer on your subnet in order to look at the quality of the QandA traffic. This would help determine whether it is a beacon or client issue. I am leaning toward beacon/server issue, but the traffic analysis would confirm one way or the other.

Herman

rpedde
    Participant

Are there any errors BEFORE the -65545?

The 65545 means that mdns wasn’t initialized, but I don’t know why it failed to initialize. There should be an error message before that. This is a 32bit intel box, right? Not something esoteric like AMD64 or an ARM box or something, right?

Did you run the netstat to make sure you weren’t running some other mdns process? I really suspect this.

As far as the firewall issue goes, did you merely turn it off, or did you add the rules to allow multicast traffic? And did you stop and uninstall Howl?

Hoekstone

mDNSProxyResponderPosix 10.0.0.205 test test _daap._tcp. 3689
    mDNSResponder: startQuery – no initialized DNS
    mDNSResponder: ERROR: startQuery – -65545 (keeping question in list for retransmission
    mDNSResponder: hndlLookupSOA: startInternalQuery returned error -65545 (breaking until next periodic retransmission)
    Made Service Records for test._daap._tcp.local.
    Service test._daap._tcp.local. now registered and active

No there aren’t any errors before this. I’m using a 32bit Intel CPU as you thought it would be.
    And there really aren’t any other running. I checked it using netstat …. And about the firewall. I configured it for multicast traffic. And I deleted Howl also.

And @Velociped. I don’t know what you mean with QandA Traffic?

velociped
    Participant

I don’t know what you mean with QandA Traffic?

The DAAP client will send out a question asking whether there are any servers on the local subnet. If a server receives this question, it will reply with an answer containing the specifics of the service(s) being offered. So, knowing this information will allow one to discern whether a) the client is sending the query (something which is evidently taking place, since running DAAP from within iTunes works) and b) if and how the server is responding (a deficiency which both Ron and I seem to agree is at the root of your problem).

Before proceeding, which version of mDNSResponder are you using? The current release is 107.1.

If compiled in toto from source, a utility named mDNSNetMonitor is created. Running this will output the zero-conf traffic on your subnet. Having not run the open-source version of mDNSResponder in a couple of years, I cannot comment on whether the following applies to that release, but… Beginning in early 2004 (v.58 ff, I think), Apple integrated the ability to poll the daemon (mDNS) directly for its status. Issuing a command such as:

sudo killall -info mDNSResponderPosix

may dump information concerning any active beacon(s) and the service(s) being broadcast to the system.log. (This tech document contains an overview.)

Herman

Hoekstone

When I run the mDNSNetMonitor it seems that there isn’t any traffic at all. Not when I run mDNSProxyResponderPosix and not when I run mt-daapd. So something must be wrong with that I guess ?

rpedde
    Participant

Well, yeah… that’s what the errors mean — mdns isn’t working, so it won’t show up in iTunes.

But it’s not an mt-daapd thing per se, it looks like something specific to mdns.

If it can’t open a multicast socket, then it make sense to look for something broken networkingly.

1. What distro of linux?
    2. What kernel version?
    3. From distro-provided package, or hand-rolled?
    4. If hand-rolled, did you enable multicast?
    5. What kind of machine? Architecture type… AMD, Intel, 32bit, 64 bit, etc.
    6. Is this machine multihomed? What kind of network interfaces does it have? 10/100 ethernet? Token ring? ATM?
    7. Any IP aliases?
    8. Any security patches? selinux? grsecurity? pax? lids? anything like that?

output of /sbin/ifconfig wouldn’t hurt, same with ‘uname -a’, and maybe the .config of the currently running kernel.

that’s where to check next.

— Ron

Hoekstone

Distro: Ubuntu Linux 5.04 also known as Hoary Hedgehog release, package provided by the distro. Also using the kernel provided in that package.
    Machine: Intel 32 bit. (celeron CPU)
    On a homenetwork. The network is 100 mbit, and with one hub. No security patches installed on the linux box, exept firestarter.

uname -a
    Linux zolder 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Fri Jun 24 16:53:01 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

/sbin/ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:B0:D0:BE:93:D7
    inet addr:10.0.0.205 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2b0:d0ff:febe:93d7/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:3344 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
    TX packets:3026 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1702338 (1.6 MiB ) TX bytes:470928 (459.8 KiB )
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0xec00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:330926 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:330926 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:34343638 (32.7 MiB ) TX bytes:34343638 (32.7 MiB )

Post edited by: Hoekstone, at: 2005/07/13 10:23

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.