Do I ever get this to work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hey guys,

I installed Ubuntu Hairy Hedgehog Linux a few weeks ago, and it actually works excellent B) . Due to the fact that there is no itunes version for linux I wanted to stream mp3’s through my home network using another program and wanted it to show up in iTunes normally on the other computers. I thought this could be exactly the thing I was looking for.

I followed the documentation exactly, configured everything properly, installed the right programs etc. When I actually run mt-daapt on verbose mode nothing seems wrong and no warning messages appeared. The admin page seems te be accessible from the other computers so I thought it was working fine. But still it isn’t appearing in iTunes on all the computers in my network. I searched for an answer, tried everything, nothing worked. … I surely don’t know what to do now :huh: :blink:

rpedde
    Participant

This is probably a firewall issue on the server.

Try the suggestions here in the faq:

http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/FAQ#mt-daapd_keeps_dropping_out_of_iTunes

– Ron

Hoekstone

Sorry but this is not working. It doesn’t help when I shut down firestarter or when I type those commands in the console. Firestarter doesnt give any warnings also when running. What I can say also is that in the FAQ there is a problem like this ” mt-daapd keeps dropping out of iTunes”. But here mt-daapd never appeared in iTunes.

rpedde
    Participant

What –configure command did you use?

Hoekstone

What do you mean ? How I installed the program ?

rpedde
    Participant

When you compiled the program, what command did you use to configure it?

or did you install the .deb package?

Also, as the “showing up in iTunes” thing depends on mdns, it would help to know if you are running Howl or some other mdns provider.

Also, what documentation did you follow?

— Ron

Hoekstone

I installed the program using the .deb package. I have compiled the mdns program of Apple to see if that works when I run it, no luck. Also tried Howl, without result. When I run your program it sais that it uses mDNS right so I didn’t run any of the other programs while mt-daapd was running.

velociped
    Participant

Two additional questions…

The admin page seems te be accessible from the other computers so I thought it was working fine. But still it isn’t appearing in iTunes on all the computers in my network.

When you say “all”, do you mean all or any? If “all” is more accurate, then how does the configuration on the machines which can access the shared library differ from those which cannot?

Also…and this is a rudimentary check, but it has proven to be the culprit in the past…have you enabled the bit within the iTunes client which searches the local subnet for shared libraries?

If you have not already done so, you may want to read through this earlier thread regarding a similar issue. The solution never really revealed the true culprit — other than being a Windows idiosyncrasy — but there are several useful troubleshooting tips which may aid in diagnosing and eliminating possible causes.

Herman

Hoekstone

When I said “not All” the computers I meant all. Not any of the computers on my home network “sees” my linux box in iTunes, so the blame is not on the configuration of those computers. Sorry for the incompletion of my post. I checked the option in iTunes to search for shared libraries on all of them. When windows was installed on this computer I used iTunes to share my music on the network. It was showing up on all the computers and it was functioning excellent !

velociped
    Participant

Have you tried testing whether or not iTunes is still “functioning excellent” as a DAAP server?

From what you describe, it seems unlikely to be an mt-daapd issue. The problem likely has something to do with the Rendezvous/Bonjour/zeroConf beacon. Either it is not broadcasting (i.e. not installed or configured corerctly on the Linux box) or the XP boxes are not detecting it (e.g. a firewall issue or the anomalous XP issue as described in the previously referenced thread). In order to determine which, you will need to analyze the traffic on your subnet.

Also, if your Windows machines are running SP2 and you have ICF activated, it will be necessary to ensure the required ports (DAAP, TCP 3689; mDNS, UDP 5353) are open to traffic.

Herman

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.