DNS-323 Firefly and Bonjour

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I am having issues in getting Firefly to work with my DNS-323 as an iTunes server.

I have installed mt-daapd as per DNS-323 forum instructions as a stand alone on the DNS-323. It is running. I have scanned and it has found the music files (6414) however it does not show up in iTunes. On the config page (web) it states that the Bonjour server is ‘stopped’.

I installed the Windows version of Firefly and it works. In that config page it states that Bonjour is ‘running’.

The Windows XP Services show that Bonjour is up and running from boot of computer.

So:
    1. Does the Bonjour server have to be ‘running’ on the DNS-323 standalone mt-daapd?
    2. If so….how do I get it to run and what am I missing?

I have tried just about everything to get the iTunes server that came with the DNS-323 and also upgraded to the later mt-daapd version.

I installed Twonky to try that…my AV Receiver works great…UPnP is up and running…but the iTunes server for Twonky does not work either.

Any help in sorting this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Drew.

rpedde
    Participant

@drewd wrote:

Hi,

I am having issues in getting Firefly to work with my DNS-323 as an iTunes server.

I have installed mt-daapd as per DNS-323 forum instructions as a stand alone on the DNS-323. It is running. I have scanned and it has found the music files (6414) however it does not show up in iTunes. On the config page (web) it states that the Bonjour server is ‘stopped’.

I installed the Windows version of Firefly and it works. In that config page it states that Bonjour is ‘running’.

The Windows XP Services show that Bonjour is up and running from boot of computer.

So:
    1. Does the Bonjour server have to be ‘running’ on the DNS-323 standalone mt-daapd?
    2. If so….how do I get it to run and what am I missing?

I have tried just about everything to get the iTunes server that came with the DNS-323 and also upgraded to the later mt-daapd version.

I installed Twonky to try that…my AV Receiver works great…UPnP is up and running…but the iTunes server for Twonky does not work either.

Any help in sorting this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Drew.

bonjour showing stopped is a bug.

did it ever work with the built-in version?

If not, then it’s probably a multicast issue. Do you have one side of hte connection wired and the other side wireless? If so, then check your wireless router and see if it has a config setting to enable multicast, or perhaps IGMP.

Also try upgrading firmware on the router to the latest.

That’s if it never worked, even with the built-in itunes server (which is mt-daapd 0.2.4, probably).

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having the exact same problem. I have Firefly running on an ubuntu server box, and while everything works perfectly, Bonjour shows as STOPPED, and iTunes can’t see the library.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just realized I posted in the wrong thread as I’m running Ubuntu. It appears the most recently nightly (1696) works and lists Bonjour as Running.

Good luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,

This is the response when it is running:

1330 root /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd.conf
    1331 root /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd.conf
    1360 root /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd.conf
    1361 root /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/mt-daapd.conf

This is the response after it stopped:

1480 root grep -i mt-daapd

So….there were four running at the beginning and four after it fell over.

Don’t know what this means….

Drew

rpedde
    Participant

@drewd wrote:

Ron,

This is the response when it is running:

This is the response after it stopped:

1480 root grep -i mt-daapd

So….there were four running at the beginning and four after it fell over.

Don’t know what this means….

Drew

It means nothing probably changed on the server. Still advertising, still running. Which means it’s probably a networking issue. I’d still suspect whatever wireless stuff you have between the server and client.

Sadly, I don’t have a fix for that. You could verify it by running wired and seeing if you could replicate the issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Ron….Success.

After just concentrating on the router…I went back to the basica and looked for the multicast settings. I was told by DLink that the router is set to multicast all the time and they said do not worry about that!

Well…it turns out there is a setting for the IGMP. This needs to be turned on! It was off as a default. I recall turning this on and off previously, but this was before putting the DNS-323 in promiscuous mode and it made no difference. So it seems the combination of putting the DNS-323 in promiscuous mode and enabling the IGMP setting on the router has got the router multicast and Firefly working properly.

I’m very impressed with Firefly 🙂 Running an XP, Mac, and also streaming to an AV Receiver. All at once….

Thankyou a bunch!
    Andrew.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.