DLink DIR-655 and Roku SoundBridge M2000 – Making it work

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues DLink DIR-655 and Roku SoundBridge M2000 – Making it work

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

rsherard3, have you had any luck? I’ve just been living with having to reboot the SoundBridge every few hours. I may take up troubleshooting again soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since there’s no telling if/when Dlink is going to update the DIR-655 firmware so Firefly can be recognized on the R1000, I replaced it with a Netgear WNR3500. Everything works great. The initial buffering is faster and if I stand in front of the radio, the radio isn’t rebuffering like it used to. I thought I might have to install a wireless bridge because the signal was always marginal for that radio but it appears that won’t be necessary now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

🙁

I really like my D-Link Router otherwise. Going from a Linksys WRT54G2P to the DIR-655 was a huge step forward.

How do you find the Netgear unit compares to your experiences with the DIR-655 (bracketing out the Roku issue)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I literally just plugged it in yesterday so I’d need to give it some time before I can give you a complete appraisal.

On the face of it, Netgear setup was relatively painless using the setup CD and the Netgear seems to have slightly better signal quality at a difficult spot in my house.

On the negative side, everytime you update settings, the Netgear router goes through a long reboot cycle. Once you’ve got the router programmed though that shouldn’t be a big problem. And the D-link gives you rate and signal strength of the attached wireless devices. I couldn’t find that in the Netgear.

The D-link seems to be a little bit more customizable so if you have a very specific thing you’re trying to accomplish you might have slightly better luck with the D-link. They’re so close in functionality though that most people won’t know the difference.

Note that I’m only running at 145Mb mode so I can’t speak to the differences at 300Mb.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@steveluscher wrote:

rsherard3, have you had any luck? I’ve just been living with having to reboot the SoundBridge every few hours. I may take up troubleshooting again soon.

No luck here. Right now I’m just listening to Internet radio. We moved to a different apartment, so I have my router in a different room. However, I do have the DAP-1522 access point on order. I’m hoping that hooking the SoundBridge up to the access point will allow it to see my Firefly server again. I guess we’ll see when the access point actually ships!

sssobel

D-Link released firmware version 1.20 on July 21st. I installed it today, and unfortunately, it doesn’t resolve the incompatibility issue with Firefly/iTunes/SoundBridge.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1.20 doesn’t work for me either. Very disappointing. Maybe some combination of settings might do the trick but I don’t have time to experiment.

My Netgear WNR3500 worked very well while it worked except the entire network would just drop out randomly and come back – both wired and wireless connections. Now it seems to have stopped connecting to the internet which is why I tried the 1.20 firmware on my otherwise unused DIR-655.

Looks like I’ll have to get a replacement from Netgear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve just installed Firefly on an Linkstation Pro (stock firmware 1.11) using the standing instructions, but neither of my Soundbridge players (Radio & M400) will see the library on the NAS. They will however connect to both Firefly and Windows Media Player servers on a Vista wireless laptop. The FF service is definitely running on the LS, the Java Firefly Client will happily stream from the library, but that uses an explicit IP/Port connect rather than looking for the multicast. I have a DLink G624T router. The SB’s are on firmware 3.0.54 (I have also downgraded them to 3.0.44 but no joy with that either).

I’m guessing that the problem is the multicast signal is not getting through the wired-wireless boundary on the router as all the successful connects are wireless-wireless.

Is the conclusion from those using it that the Netgear WNR3500 router definitely works between soundbridge (Pinnacle branded in my case) devices and a wired server (Linkstation)? I don’t have any ‘n’ devices but the gigabit rate might be useful for backups.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just got my DAP-1522 via FedEx today. I set up the access point in bridge mode, made sure it was talking to the router, plugged it into the wall in my living room, hooked up my Roku, and can now enjoy my Firefly server. I know this may not be feasible for most, but I needed the switch capability of the 1522, as I have other network devices hooked up and buying a single-port access point for each was wasting money. Anyway, this setup met my needs and now has my Roku seeing the server again! 😀

Nova

I’ve had similar problems to those mentioned above with the DIR-655 firmware 1.20. I am using the DIR-655 as a wireless access point, not my internet router. The multicast option is checked in the configuration utility, but the SB apparently isn’t getting the multicast packets as it reports no Firefly.

I had an old DIR-614+ (also a D-link router) sitting on a shelf, so I plugged it into the same switch that the DIR-655 is on. This router does not have a configuration specifically for multicast (that i can find), yet when I change the preferred wireless network in the SB to the DIR-614+ the Firefly server shows up and everything works fine.

Given the exact same network topology for both wireless access points, I have to conclude that there is something wrong with the multicast implementation in the DIR-655. Possibly it is only set up to pass multicast packets coming off the WAN side, not the LAN side.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.