Developers: Crashing firefly by issueing parallell queries?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Add-on Software Developers: Crashing firefly by issueing parallell queries?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gurgel2
    Participant

Im developing a player for personal use (and more even). One issue ive stumbled upon is that when issueing parallell queries to firefly, I easily make it crash. That or, it might be that I interrupt receival of ongoing queries, to start a new one. Dont really know as I just use the .NET/WPF framwork to issue these queries – dont exactly know the mechanics of gui worker threads . What is happing in the background so to speak.

Is this something other developers have encountered? What rules should you obey?

EVILRipper
    Participant

Um. I’d love to answer. But I don’t know how you’re ‘talking’ to firefly.
    Are you using DAAP/RSP requests using URL? Or have you found a way to connect to sqlite directly?

And give an example which calls/requests you are running, maybe those are the ones killing firefly.

gurgel2
    Participant

@EVILRipper wrote:

Um. I’d love to answer. But I don’t know how you’re ‘talking’ to firefly.
    Are you using DAAP/RSP requests using URL? Or have you found a way to connect to sqlite directly?

And give an example which calls/requests you are running, maybe those are the ones killing firefly.

I Use daap i presume (what is described in http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/XML_Client_API)

When googling on RSP (roku/firefly) i didnt find any reference manuals, do you have one? Is it preferable to use that over daap?

I use queries described in the above mentioned url.. AND they do work when really letting them finish before issuing another one. I dont know if the request/response process is able to finish or is terminated when issueing another one in the gui… id presume they would be queued.. maybe executed in parallell… but I have to check this.

Is this something you have seen?

fizze
    Participant

Sqlite2 is iffy in some environments. Make sure you use sqlite3.

EVILRipper
    Participant

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=7968
    In the above topic I described the difference between DAAP and RSP.

I created the DaapPlaylistGenerator app from this forum. In that, I didn’t use the XML version of DAAP. It also has a much smaller original version.

http://www.tapjam.net/daap/
    I used this page to decipher and process it.

I used the original version simply for the fact that it’s a way smaller query response to download. The app was aimed to be used remotely, from a huge database.
    The original DAAP size for my DB: 1,374,647 bytes (1.3MB)
    The XML DAAP size for my DB: 3,821,141 (3.6MB)
    That is quite a difference when downloading with 120kb/s.

However, I still want to try RSP. But like you stated, there is no documentation to be found. I believe the author of Fireplay on this forum got some of the documentation mailed to him from Ron.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I second that.. Use the DAAP interface instead of the XML-API.
    The footprint of the result is much smaller, and the XML-API interface isnt as stable (i recall having a dozen problems, however for the quick query debug, its a nice feauture 😀 ).

gurgel2
    Participant

Thanx guys.. ill switch to daap (possibly RSP then)

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’ve created a couple of classes in PHP, which should be easy to port to .NET.
    Download crossfire and look for the php_dmap.php file. It contains a binairy Daap parser. If you managed to create a nice .NET class i am well up for writting a WindowsMobile .NET client.

Cheers,
    Tony

EVILRipper
    Participant

Possibly even better; DaapPlaylistGenerator is written in C++/MFC. This program has a binary daap parser aswell. As WindowsMobile supports C++/MFC, let me know if anyone is interested in the source code. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Add-on Software’ is closed to new topics and replies.