"dead air" at end of songs while using Firefly

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion "dead air" at end of songs while using Firefly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    beesong1
    Participant

How can I eliminate the many seconds of silence between songs when streaming through Firefly? It’s very frustrating……….

S80_UK
    Participant

Haven’t seen this – ever.

Can you describe your setup (hardware, software including version numbers, file formats where you see this problem)? Without that info we can only guess… ๐Ÿ˜•

File streaming should be completely seamless (and is for me and many others).

beesong1
    Participant

@S80_UK wrote:

Haven’t seen this – ever.

Can you describe your setup (hardware, software including version numbers, file formats where you see this problem)? Without that info we can only guess… ๐Ÿ˜•

File streaming should be completely seamless (and is for me and many others).

I’ll see what I can do — please bear with my noob status to networking. I’m using XP Media Center and Itunes 7.0, SB M1001 and also the Roku Radio; both are running wirelessly. The problem seems to happen with any format I try, although my collection is primarily in Mp3 and Mp4. I’m using the current nightly of Firefly. Sure hope I’ve provided some useful info……….

S80_UK
    Participant

@beesong1 wrote:

I’ll see what I can do — please bear with my noob status to networking.

Don’t worry – we all have to learn to walk before we can run… and I am up to walking quickly – maybe jogging in a week or two… ๐Ÿ™‚

@beesong1 wrote:

I’m using XP Media Center and Itunes 7.0, SB M1001 and also the Roku Radio; both are running wirelessly. The problem seems to happen with any format I try, although my collection is primarily in Mp3 and Mp4. I’m using the current nightly of Firefly. Sure hope I’ve provided some useful info……….

Just to check – which firmware do you have in the SB? And when you say latest nightly, do you mean svn-1463?

BTW – it’s late here in the UK so off to bed now. If others want to chip in – feel free.

beesong1
    Participant

@S80_UK wrote:

@beesong1 wrote:

I’ll see what I can do — please bear with my noob status to networking.

Don’t worry – we all have to learn to walk before we can run… and I am up to walking quickly – maybe jogging in a week or two… ๐Ÿ™‚

@beesong1 wrote:

I’m using XP Media Center and Itunes 7.0, SB M1001 and also the Roku Radio; both are running wirelessly. The problem seems to happen with any format I try, although my collection is primarily in Mp3 and Mp4. I’m using the current nightly of Firefly. Sure hope I’ve provided some useful info……….

Just to check – which firmware do you have in the SB? And when you say latest nightly, do you mean svn-1463?

BTW – it’s late here in the UK so off to bed now. If others want to chip in – feel free.

Yes–svn1463. I’m also using the current SB beta with the M1001; the Roku Radio still has the release version. Thanks so much for being willing to help!

rpedde
    Participant

@beesong1 wrote:

Yes–svn1463. I’m also using the current SB beta with the M1001; the Roku Radio still has the release version. Thanks so much for being willing to help!

I haven’t heard that before. Does this happen with *every* song? Or just specific songs?

beesong1
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@beesong1 wrote:

I haven’t heard that before. Does this happen with *every* song? Or just specific songs?

OK, I’ve been working with this and trying to narrow down what causes it. I now know WHAT causes it, but I still don’t know why. But I can work around it now, at least.

Here’s what I found:
    I have lots of Napster files (unprotected) in mp3 that I converted to mp4 to save ipod space. The mp4 files play just fine on the ipod, with no “dead air” trailing. However, through Firefly, there is about 15 seconds of space at the end of each of those files. My solution was to revert to the mp3 files just for using through Firefly; fortunately, I didn’t have to do them all over for the ipod. Now I’ve pointed Firefly at a specific directory that does not update automatically that I keep separate from itunes.

It’s a workaround, but it works. And that’s what counts to me.

Kate

S80_UK
    Participant

It sounds a bit like this problem…

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5432&highlight=

Although your delay is much less than the several minutes reported. It could be worth trying the fix suggested in that link.

beesong1
    Participant

@S80_UK wrote:

It sounds a bit like this problem…

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5432&highlight=

Although your delay is much less than the several minutes reported. It could be worth trying the fix suggested in that link.

Thank you! That looks very helpful, and I will try it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.