daap clients connecting to an actual iTunes server

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion daap clients connecting to an actual iTunes server

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pbuelow

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I’ve been browsing and searching using google and this forum for quite a while looking for what I want. This project looks very cool, and I hope to be able to use it. However, for now, I have two questions.

A little background. A little while ago, I finished a touchscreen remote device that sits in my bedroom and wirelessly connects using MPD to my music. Works great, but can’t play DRM protected files. I would like it to be able to play these, and don’t really have a problem running iTunes on my little mini and then connecting to that. However, most of the client code I can find has long been abandoned. Then I find this site.

I see the java client fireplay, which I guess I could tweak, but adding java to this little guy might not be easy (tiny embedded processor, no useable screen space, not much memory). However, a C or C++ library would be great. The limited HW and display also mean I can’t run OSX and a normal copy of iTunes on the client either.

So, my two questions are this.

1. Does anyone know if there is a client library available to talk to either the FFMS or iTunes other than Fireplay and isn’t flash based?
    2. I’m assuming that FFMS simply serves the files out to the client, and the client is responsible for unlocking m4p content. Is that assumption correct, or how does that work?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Pete

fizze
    Participant

Well, this only works with the RoKu soundbridges, and they do some black magic to pull it off.

There are a lot of DAAP client implementations out there, and they would work very well with firefly.
    Just take a look at the DAAP code in banshee, rhythmbox or the winamp-daap plugin for instance. Of course there are also all sorts of DAAP bindings for various languages, all of which are more or less incomplete, but deffo better than starting from scratch 😉

EVILRipper
    Participant

The DaapPlaylistGenerator from the Add-On Software forum is written in C++.

It downloads and processes DAAP. If you want to have a look into the source, let me know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.