Cross compile for NSLU2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jm

Hi,

I’m in the process of setting up my Ubuntu box to build for NSLU2. However, my attempts so far shows limited success and I could really need some advice.

I’ve downloaded one of tha latest nightlies. I have a setup so that i can build for the Ubuntu box. From some postings it appears to me that all that needs to be done for building for the NSLU is to run ./configure with –enable-nslu2 flag.
    Is that all that’s needed?
    Does this really make all required modifications for the Makefile?

I read in a thread about ‘room correction’ that running ‘make mt-daapd-ipk’ should download and install croos compilation tools. Doing so just gives me an error message saying there is no rule for building mt-daapd-ipk. I guess this is due to the Makefile not being correct?

I know I’m quite far outside my field of expertice on this, but I’d appreciate any advice helping me in the right direction.

Thanks
    /J

fizze
    Participant

why not just go with the
    http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/dl.php?FILE=mt-daapd_0.9-svn-1450_armeb.deb
    ?

thats a deb package just for ARM architectures (like the NSLU2).

you should be able to install cleanly with apt-get πŸ˜‰

jm

Yes, I know, that’s what I’ve been using for quite a while (not exactly 1450, but since 1400 or so).

The main reason is I’ve made some modifications that I’d like to incorporate. E.g. how compilations are handled.

Second reason is that Id like to learn. πŸ™‚

fizze
    Participant

erm, that make mtdaapd-ipk does only work un unslung 6.8, since its based around ipkg.

debonaras or whatever flavour you’re using isnt capable of ipkg, I guess *shrug*

apt-get install gcc make automake make-utils

and the likes seem to be more like it πŸ˜‰

anyway, as Ron runs debian himself on his slug, he deffo can help you out.

rpedde
    Participant

@jm wrote:

Does this really make all required modifications for the Makefile?

The place to start is here:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware

Basicaly, check out the source as described in that document using svn. Then, once you have that, just change into the optware directory and do a “make mt-daapd-ipk”. That will download and compile the cross-tools and stuff. That will take some time.

Once you have that, you will have build the package for the stable version – 0.2.4. You’ll need an updated makefile for the nightlies. If you get started on getting the crosstools and whatnot set up, I’ll set up svn for the files I’m using for packaging. Right now, I don’t really have those anywhere.

I’ll post back here when I have them posted somewhere.

— Ron

jm

Thanks a lot.

Crosstool installed and first build up and running on NSLU. πŸ˜€

Take your time. I’m in no hurry, I appreciate the work you put into making all this available to everyone. Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@jm wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Crosstool installed and first build up and running on NSLU. πŸ˜€

Take your time. I’m in no hurry, I appreciate the work you put into making all this available to everyone. Thanks!

Okay. the files I use for the slug package are at http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/files.tar.gz. It’s kind of all blobbed together. I’ll get it cleaned up and in svn soonish, but this should get you running.

The .mk file replaces the mt-daapd.mk in make/, and the contents of the mt-daapd directory go in sources/mt-daapd.

Edit the makefile. Set MT_DAAPD_SITE to “http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org”, and set MT_DAAPD_VERSION to the version you want to build (svn-1450, maybe?)

Then make mt-daapd-ipk

Yell if you have trouble.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

Finally got my Ubuntu up on my main machine.
    Dualhead is tricky to set up nicely πŸ˜‰

Anyway, Im about to check out the SVN etc so I can finally compile some for my slug. Is that stuff of yours in SVN already or do I need to checkout that archive you posted above?

edit:
    hehe, post# 333 for me.
    halfling of the beast? πŸ˜†

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Finally got my Ubuntu up on my main machine.
    Dualhead is tricky to set up nicely πŸ˜‰

Anyway, Im about to check out the SVN etc so I can finally compile some for my slug. Is that stuff of yours in SVN already or do I need to checkout that archive you posted above?

edit:
    hehe, post# 333 for me.
    halfling of the beast? πŸ˜†

I have svn set up, at https://svn.fireflymediaserver.org/svn/firefly-build/trunk

But I only have the win32 stuff in there now. I still have to add the debian, rpm, and unslung stuff. So until then, yeah… grab it from the tarball above.

fizze
    Participant

Alright. I suppose its not that urgent.
    What about the stuff on TRAC? Cant i just leech these as I guess the above archive is kinda outdated?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.