content type negotiation?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    peller

I don’t know if this is even possible in DAAP, but it would be neat if it were possible to tell what types of formats a client supports, then do the server-side translation as necessary. e.g. transcode ogg to wav to SoundBridge, but serve up ogg directly for a player which supports ogg (apparently, itunes can do this with the right plugin… in theory, so would GIT, jlgui or others if they actually worked)

I don’t know much about DAAP, but I’m thinking of something along the lines of HTTP’s content-type request headers, which aren’t often used. It’s only gonna work if the clients support it…

-Adam

rpedde
    Participant

Yeah, I’d like this as well. You don’t get an “Accept” request header, although you do get a user-agent, which you could use to decide if you wanted to transcode or not.

The config file format really isn’t up to the task of expressing that right now though, and the config stuff is probably going to get moved into the database anyway.

But then the database stuff isn’t ready yet, so there’s clearly some more work to be done. 🙂

— Ron

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.