Connection failed to firefly-instance on Maxtor(please help)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Connection failed to firefly-instance on Maxtor(please help)

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

firefly uses pthreads, so you actually only see one “process”, but it has a few threads.

Dont get me started on what a process, a thread, or a task is, on you Maxtor thingy. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

Anyway, thats perfectly normal. And if you use “ps -ef” you can see they all were spawned from the same PID.

RickV
    Participant

Thank you for your replies.

I did a power-down on the Maxtor after the first answer of Evilripper.
    But, as mentioned, without using the Roku the second time I started the web-interface I didn’t get access again.

About the processes… I can only tell what I did and what I see.
    Is it possible that the firefly installation is corrupt and then processes are not terminated the right way after an unsuccessfull connect?

It looks strange to issue the kill command and then seeing those processes re-appear again without doing a thing in between… but I’m not an Linux expert…

Can you guys give me some more advise on what to do next?
    Is a new install the way to go? And if yes, how can I do a new install (i’m also happy with a reference to a guideline telling me how to do this).

Hopefully you can give me a solution, i’m missing my Roku. I have a XBox which can access my music but that gives poor audio quality compared to my Roku. πŸ˜₯

fizze
    Participant

Yikes!
    Don’t walk around with “kill” unless you know what you’re doing. And as you stated you didn’t, so I guess you actually caused more problems than solving any that way. πŸ˜‰

Linux (and other *IX OSes for that matter) isn’t forgiving. If the user root wants something done, the system does it. Period. πŸ˜€

Anyway, if you want to get rid of your mt-daapd processes, you should use “killall mt-daapd”, rather than killing the individual PIDs. Wait a few secs, than check with “ps -ef|grep daapd” if there are any zombie processes left.
    Kill them with “kill -9 $PID” Where $PID is the process ID, the number that the ps will tell you.

As you are still using svn-1344, I suggest you update. Svn-1696 is fairly decent with sqlite3.

RickV
    Participant

Hello Fizze,

From now on I will use the killall-command. Thank you for pointing this out.

I like to update to svn-1696 but I’m not sure how. In the installation-wiki Ron made for the Maxtor it is not telling how to do this.
    Or do I just have to go over the installation again and then the latest update will be installed?

The Wiki shows the following steps:

echo "src nslu2 http://ipkg-us-dyoung.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/mss/cross/unstable" > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    # echo "src firefly http://ipkg.fireflymediaserver.org/mipsel" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    # ipkg update
    # ipkg install mt-daapd
    # ipkg install mss-libhelper
    # ipkg install mss-ld-so

As you can see there is no version-indication on the “install mt-daapd”, how can I indicate a specific release?

fizze
    Participant

Yep. You can skip the first two steps though, they are only needed once.
    At one point you are asked if you want to use the default config file or keep yours.
    It’s safer to use the default and make your changes again. Depending on the version you are using now, the config file may not be compatible.

But you can sure try to keep your config file, and if you run into problems simply install mt-daapd again (there is a –force-reinstall option to ipkg) and chose to overwrite your config file.

RickV
    Participant

Thanks for all your replies. At this moment I’m to busy at work just before my holiday. As soon I have installed the latest stable version I let you no if this solved the problem.

RickV
    Participant

Just before my holiday I try to solve the problem.

At this moment the only thing I don’t understand about the installation is how to install a specific version.

What version is installed with the “ipkg update”? Is it the most stable nightly, the svn-1586? And if so, how can I install a more recent one?

RickV
    Participant

I did the install from the beginning. First I removed the /opt/etc/ipkg.conf, then I did the install step by step as mentioned in the Wiki.

When I start the firefly I got the following error:

# /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    pidof: not found
    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
    #

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

fizze
    Participant

There are some libraries missing.
    Did you set the correct LD_PATH in the init script?

RickV
    Participant

After deleting the ipkg.conf I thought I did exactly that is mentioned in the wiki.

I checked the wiki again and I found that I forgot to do the following change:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

So I did now and then did a power-down on the maxtor. After power-up I started the server with the following result:

# /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    # pidof: not found
    pidof:: not found
    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: error while loading shared libraries: libFLAC.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

With a search on the forums I found Ron’s advice , but that resulted in the following:

# ln -s /opt/lib/libFLAC.so.8 /opt/lib/libFLAC.so.7
    ln: /opt/lib/libFLAC.so.7: File exists

Starting the server results in the same error as above.

Without exactly knowing what I’m doing I also tried:

# ln -s /opt/lib/libFLAC.so.8 /opt/lib/libFLAC.so.8

This gave no error/warning but starting the server results in the same error as mentioned above.

You are saying:

Did you set the correct LD_PATH in the init script

Where do I set it?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.