Can’t Open iTunes Share

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    js22

Hello,

I’m having some difficulty setting up my mt-daapd on my NSLU2. I’ve unslung my slug and installed only mt-daapd and openssh. I unslung to a 1 gig flash drive on port 2 and I have a WD 250gig my book (NTFS) on port 1.

So I followed the setup word for word on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Mt-daapd. I tested it out using another small thumbdrive with 1 album on it. Works great, I had 3 computers streaming the same song. So now I come along with my big drive, >100 gig music. I change the MP3 directory and the song database to be stored on the hard drive.

The slug cranks along and scans the library and a share shows up in iTunes as NSLU2. Great. But I click on it and get this error:

The shared library “NSLU2 Music” is not responding. (-3260) Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has bee set to allow communication on port 3689.

I looked at the logs and found that the Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) happened. I restarted mt-daapd and the 5 lines show up like this:

ps -ef | grep mt-daapd
    772 ttyp0 guest 1928 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-
    773 ttyp0 guest 7488 D /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-
    774 ttyp0 guest 7488 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-
    775 ttyp0 guest 7488 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-
    797 ttyp0 root 2668 S grep mt-daapd

What is the “D” for? But I still have the same errors. I looked at the walk through on the wiki. On the NSLU2 wiki it says to:

Run ‘chmod o+r -R /share/hdd/data/public/mp3’ to make sure the server has permissions to read your music files.

I thought this might have something to do with permissions why iTunes couldn’t recognize this. So I did this and it started cranking away and about 3 minutes into the process it terminated. Any ideas why it would do this? Am I going down the right avenue.

js22

Osik
    Participant

hi,

i’m not sure but i think this could be something to do with ntfs.

what does /var/log/messages say? did you looked at it? which version of mt-daapd you are using?

greetz

Osik

rpedde
    Participant

@js22 wrote:

What is the “D” for? But I still have the same errors. I looked at the walk through on the wiki. On the NSLU2 wiki it says to:

Usually uninterruptible sleep — waiting on IO operation.

I thought this might have something to do with permissions why iTunes couldn’t recognize this. So I did this and it started cranking away and about 3 minutes into the process it terminated. Any ideas why it would do this? Am I going down the right avenue.

Sounds like the issue is something on the file system. First thing I’d do is plug the drive into a windows machine and chkdisk it. I think it’s got problems.

Second thing would be to check syslog on the slug and see what that tells you — like WHY the daap server stopped. And maybe it will show any hardware errors you’ve gotten too.

Also, if you are using svn-1696, then you’ll want to turn off background scans in the config file.

— Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.