cant import songs to Itunes shared firefly folder…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues cant import songs to Itunes shared firefly folder…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have installed bonjour for windows, firefly and Itunes.
    I have a shared library in Itunes that seems to be connected to firefly and my soundbridge. However- I cant import any songs to my shared library. its just empty.
    The folder specified in Itunes is the same as the on where my Itunes library is located!
    Does anyone recognize this problem
    /Marcus

mt-daapd/Firefly Version: firefly 1.0
    Server Operating System: Windows XP
    Server Hardware: PC
    Client Device: Roku Soundbridge M1001, iTunes 7.1 for Windows
    Connection of clients: wireless access point
    Web interface: Are you able to connect to the web interface? -Yes
    iTunes XML file: Are you trying to set up Firefly to use your iTunes library file? Yes!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Im trying to figure out how averything really works, this is my idea is it right?:
    1 Firefly scans the Itunes Library for media
    2 Firefly shares the media it found with Itunes
    3 Itunes shows the shared library (in my case called “Marcus”)

If this is the case, then the whole problem is that Firefly cant find any media with Itunes. Why not? I have specified the same folder in Itunes as in firefly

…and what the heck do I need “bonjour ” for?

“no one told me that i needed to be a computer genious to own a soundbridge”

can anyone help me?
    /Marcus

stretch
    Participant

@anvegard wrote:

Im trying to figure out how averything really works, this is my idea is it right?:
    1 Firefly scans the Itunes Library for media

Sort of. Firefly scans the directory you point it at for any file types you listed in the configuration page.
    The iTunes Library File is only used for playlists.

@anvegard wrote:

2 Firefly shares the media it found with Itunes

It shares the media with anything that understands the daap or rsp protocols

@anvegard wrote:

3 Itunes shows the shared library (in my case called “Marcus”)

As long as it’s been set-up to use remote libraries

@anvegard wrote:

…and what the heck do I need “bonjour ” for?

Bonjour allows the SoundBridge/iTunes to find Firefly. In the Windows world UPnP does a similar job

@anvegard wrote:

If this is the case, then the whole problem is that Firefly cant find any media with Itunes. Why not? I have specified the same folder in Itunes as in firefly

Lots of things could be wrong. My first guess would be that Firefly does not have permission to access the files. http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/FAQ
    Also, open Firefly’s config page and set the debug level to 5, save & restart Firefly.
    The log file will help point out what is wrong.

@anvegard wrote:

You don’t need to be BUT you’ve chosen to use Firefly as the server.
    Firefly is a great server to use but it’s also a work in progress that is more at home running under linux than Windows

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, I think were getting somwhere now. Thanx for explaining so a newbie understands.
    the heading “Why can’t I see my iTunes playlists?” in the link page tou sent me seems to be my problem.
    Though, another problem pops-up. When you’re talking bout “firefly’s config page” I suppose you’re clicking “web adminsitration interface” in Firefly, then click “configuration” in the web page that pops up. then nothing happens, its just an empty page that says “configuration” on top. there are no settings to do on this page

“You don’t need to be BUT you’ve chosen to use Firefly as the server.
    Firefly is a great server to use but it’s also a work in progress that is more at home running under linux than Windows”

Is there any other “servers” i could use with soundbridge?

thanx

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, Im must be a genious after all but I think I found a bug in firefly that somone may want to fix.

The first problem that i discovered was that the web configuration in firefly refused to show in my internet explorer 7.0 so I opened it in “safari” where it was visible somehow(!!!???)

the second problem which I think was the real problem was that the folder was:
    C:Documents and SettingsAdministratörMina dokumentMin musikiTunes
    I dont know if tou can see but Administrator is spelled in Swedish with the letter “ö” which is an o with 2 dots over. the letter was replaced with a “?” questionmark in the web configuration. So I moved the Itunes library to a folder on a different harddrive where the stupid swedish letters werent needed

is this a known problem or are we swedes supposed to live with this, and I wonder why this havent been discovered before. is this a problem for the latest version of firefly maybe?

Anyway Im really glad it works now and thanx for the help!
    /Marcus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.