Cannot start Firefly in FC6

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    zak_neutron
    Participant

Hi – just installed (using tarball) set up and editted conf files on fedora core 6 – but using ./mt-daapd start in /etc/init.d directory fails to start the service.

“Starting DAAP server: /bin/bash: mt-daapd: command not found”

What gives? πŸ™

Thanks

fizze
    Participant

Well you did even compile? (using the correct options?)
    I guess FC6 comes with avahi-daemon?

Or did you use a prefix, so that the start script cant find the mt-daapd binary? πŸ˜‰

zak_neutron
    Participant

Fizze

Followed all instructions – Still a little new to compiling (./configure make, make install). But all seemed to work – even had to add id3tag dependencies – which again seemed to work.

Can I show any logs that may help?

avahi-daemon ?

rpedde
    Participant

@zak_neutron wrote:

Hi – just installed (using tarball) set up and editted conf files on fedora core 6 – but using ./mt-daapd start in /etc/init.d directory fails to start the service.

What gives? πŸ™

Thanks

Where did you get the init script? Looks like maybe that isn’t appropriate to the version you have.

Also, did you compile with “–prefix=/usr”? If not, your mt-daapd executable is in /usr/local/sbin, not /usr/sbin.

So you might need ot fix up the paths in the init script, or rebuild with –prefix=/usr

— Ron

zak_neutron
    Participant

Thanks Ron

Checking back I used:

“./configure –with-id3tag= /usr/local/lib”

Do i need to recompile with –prefix=/usr?

If I did – would I need to re-edit the mt-daapd.conf file or would that be uneffected?

πŸ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@zak_neutron wrote:

Thanks Ron

Checking back I used:

“./configure –with-id3tag= /usr/local/lib”

Do i need to recompile with –prefix=/usr?

If I did – would I need to re-edit the mt-daapd.conf file or would that be uneffected?

πŸ™‚

If you use the –prefix command, and do the “make” in the root directory (not in src), then it will build a new default config that has the right info in it. You’ll need to copy that config (from contrib/mt-daapd.conf) to /etc and edit the music path and name again.

— Ron

zak_neutron
    Participant

Cheers Ron

Just to check (still a n00b with compiling! 😳 ) my current location for tar is ~/downloads/mt-daapd-0.2.4/ do I still run the “./configure –with-id3tag= /usr/local/lib” WITH your prefix command “with –prefix=/usr”

Then run the make, then make install?

Then copy ~/downloads/mt-daapd-0.2.4/contrib/mt-daapd.conf to /etc and edit accordingly?

Sorry -still learning

Thanks for your help Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@zak_neutron wrote:

Cheers Ron

Just to check (still a n00b with compiling! 😳 ) my current location for tar is ~/downloads/mt-daapd-0.2.4/ do I still run the “./configure –with-id3tag= /usr/local/lib” WITH your prefix command “with –prefix=/usr”

Ah, sorry, was giving you instructions for nightlies. You want:

./configure –with-id3tag=/usr/local –prefix=/etc

But in 0.2.4, it won’t automatically set up proper paths. But the default config file probably has them in the right place anyway.

Then run the make, then make install?

Yup

Then copy ~/downloads/mt-daapd-0.2.4/contrib/mt-daapd.conf to /etc and edit accordingly?

No, no need. It doesn’t get updated to reflect the prefix settings in 0.2.4, it only does that in nightlies. So just verify that the config you have right now is correct — web_root is /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root, and that the db path is /var/cache/mt-daapd. Make sure that’s writable by “nobody”. Might have to make that directory by hand:

# mkdir /var/cache/mt-daapd
    # chown nobody /var/cache/mt-daapd

That should probably do it.

Sorry -still learning

Thanks for your help Ron

np. yell if you get stuck.

— Ron

zak_neutron
    Participant

Ron – thanks for all your input

Followed all the above – still reports same error –arrgh 😑

Where do I go now!

rpedde
    Participant

@zak_neutron wrote:

Ron – thanks for all your input

Followed all the above – still reports same error –arrgh 😑

Where do I go now!

Oh.

Did you add your library path to ld.so.conf?

Look in /etc/ld.so.conf and make sure that the path you have your self-libraries installed to (/usr/local/lib?) is in there. Then do a “ldconfig” as root and try and start it again.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.