Cannot see the server wirelessly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    qwerty
    Participant

Hi

I have a Roku SB M1001
    It is working fine with Firefly WIRED but it cannot find the server wirelessly
    Details:

One Pc (Windows Xp SP2)
    no firewalls -no extra security
    one router– Dlink DlR 635

So the SB it’s connected via wireless, i am able to listen to some Internet radios but it can’t find the media library which is located on a local drive not on the network. As soon as i plug in the ethernet cord it sees it right away.

Tried different type of security (WEP, WPA), no security, different channels …nothing.
    I don’t think it’s a connectivity problem since i can connect.
    I am able to ping the SB wirelessly with no problem
    But i am not able to see the library no matter what
    Same thing with i Tunes
    I have Bonjour installed

I checked the logs.Everything looks fine
    I tried ALL or almost all the nightly releases

The only one that works is MediaConnect 2.0 not WMP 11

I really don’t know what i am missing here : πŸ˜₯

I haven’t tried with a Linux box but i don’t think it would make a difference.

If anyone has ANY ideea i would REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you.

rpedde
    Participant

@qwerty wrote:

Hi

I have a Roku SB M1001
    It is working fine with Firefly WIRED but it cannot find the server wirelessly
    Details:

One Pc (Windows Xp SP2)
    no firewalls -no extra security
    one router– Dlink DlR 635

So the SB it’s connected via wireless, i am able to listen to some Internet radios but it can’t find the media library which is located on a local drive not on the network. As soon as i plug in the ethernet cord it sees it right away.

Tried different type of security (WEP, WPA), no security, different channels …nothing.
    I don’t think it’s a connectivity problem since i can connect.
    I am able to ping the SB wirelessly with no problem
    But i am not able to see the library no matter what
    Same thing with i Tunes
    I have Bonjour installed

I checked the logs.Everything looks fine
    I tried ALL or almost all the nightly releases

The only one that works is MediaConnect 2.0 not WMP 11

I really don’t know what i am missing here : πŸ˜₯

I haven’t tried with a Linux box but i don’t think it would make a difference.

If anyone has ANY ideea i would REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you.

Search for an option in the web admin of the router for something like “Enable Multicast Streams”, or “Enable Multicast” or “Enable IGRP”.

Turn that on, and see if it works. Also, might be worth upgrading firmware, as some of the older dlink firmware didn’t do multicast.

— Ron

qwerty
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Turn that on, and see if it works. Also, might be worth upgrading firmware, as some of the older dlink firmware didn’t do multicast.

— Ron

Thanks

i tried that πŸ˜€
    nothing

when the SB is connected wirelessly i am even able to telnet into it and ping the gateway from it

Since it’s local i don’t think i have to open any ports on the router do i?
    I tried to enable the WISH option on my router to prioritize somehow the multimedia traffic. Nada!! πŸ˜€

It just doesn’t want to stream my library on wireless πŸ˜€

In Windows i can see all the UPNP devices.The router and the SB
    When i click on the router it opens the config page, when i click on the SB icon it freezes for a second and it gives me “this device is not on the network”
    Doesn’t make any sense at all.

I am seriously thinking to return the unit.It just might be defective.

PS: I have the latest router firmware 1.05

rpedde
    Participant

@qwerty wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

— Ron

Thanks

i tried that πŸ˜€
    nothing

when the SB is connected wirelessly i am even able to telnet into it and ping the gateway from it

Since it’s local i don’t think i have to open any ports on the router do i?
    I tried to enable the WISH option on my router to prioritize somehow the multimedia traffic. Nada!! πŸ˜€

It just doesn’t want to stream my library on wireless πŸ˜€

In Windows i can see all the UPNP devices.The router and the SB
    When i click on the router it opens the config page, when i click on the SB icon it freezes for a second and it gives me “this device is not on the network”
    Doesn’t make any sense at all.

I am seriously thinking to return the unit.It just might be defective.

PS: I have the latest router firmware 1.05

Can you see it with iTunes?

The way it discovers the firefly server is using multicast. If you can see it wired, but not wireless, it has to be because the wirless router isn’t passing multicast.

Any firewalls built into the router or anything?

qwerty
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Can you see it with iTunes?

The way it discovers the firefly server is using multicast. If you can see it wired, but not wireless, it has to be because the wirless router isn’t passing multicast.

Any firewalls built into the router or anything?

Doesn’t see it either with iTunes or WMP11.Only MediaConnect 2.0
    The router has it’s own firewall but like i said this is local traffic isn’t it?Why should i open ports.If you know more please tell me what ports i should open? I would really appreciate it.

I wrote a letter to Dlink too.Maybe they know few secrets about this . πŸ˜€

And you are absolutely right about the multicast and the wireless.I knew it but unfortunately i don’t know any other way how to tweak or to enable other multicast features.
    In the router there is only one checkbox.Enable/disable. πŸ˜€

Thank you !!!

rpedde
    Participant

@qwerty wrote:

The router has it’s own firewall but like i said this is local traffic isn’t it?Why should i open ports.If you know more please tell me what ports i should open? I would really appreciate it.

Dunno, just that usually the wireless card is a different interface from the switchports, so traffic that is “bridged” between the interfaces might end up going through some kind of filtering.

I didn’t know if there was perhaps some kind of setting on the wireless side to isolate it from wired, like “only allow internet access from wireless” or something.

That’s about all I can think, particuarly if it has settings to allow multicast.

After you enabled the multicast streaming, you stopped and started the daap server and/or the bonjour server (if you have a separate one), right? Because they only register multicast addresses at startup.

— Ron

qwerty
    Participant

I got it

Strangely it was the router firmware(DIR 655)
    Downgraded it from 1.05 to 1.02 and now i can see them all: Firefly WMP11 and I Tunes.

No idea what it was.I tried everything and i really mean it.
    As soon as i did the firmware … i can now enjoy my Firefly server. πŸ˜€
    I didn’t even have to enable the wireless multicast.

I am waiting forward to see what Dlink has to say about it.It’s been a couple of days now since i wrote them.Maybe they won’t bother to reply.It happened to me before. πŸ˜€

Thank you again Ron for your pertinent suggestions!!

rpedde
    Participant

@qwerty wrote:

I got it

Strangely it was the router firmware(DIR 655)
    Downgraded it from 1.05 to 1.02 and now i can see them all: Firefly WMP11 and I Tunes.

No idea what it was.I tried everything and i really mean it.
    As soon as i did the firmware … i can now enjoy my Firefly server. πŸ˜€
    I didn’t even have to enable the wireless multicast.

I am waiting forward to see what Dlink has to say about it.It’s been a couple of days now since i wrote them.Maybe they won’t bother to reply.It happened to me before. πŸ˜€

Thank you again Ron for your pertinent suggestions!!

Oof, that’s not very obvious. You must have been desperate indeed to try _downgrading_ firmware. πŸ™‚

qwerty
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

… You must have been desperate indeed to try _downgrading_ firmware. πŸ™‚

You bet.

800Gb of music to stream is a very strong motivation ! πŸ˜€

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.