Cannot connect to Firefly Control page

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Cannot connect to Firefly Control page

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I posted this on the Netgear ReadyNAS support forums but haven’t received any help. I’m hoping I might fare better here.

I am trying to set up the iTunes Streaming Server on my ReadyNAS Duo. Firefly is the software used for this service. I have navigated to the Streaming Services control panel and ticked the iTunes Streaming Services box. Then I clicked on the IP address in the following line: “Connect to the Firefly setup: http://192.168.1.2:3689. This produces the following error:

Connection Interrupted.
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

What am I doing wrong? Does it have something to do with port 3689? My router is a Netgear WNR2000. I know a little about computers but find networking to be really complicated.

stretch
    Participant

Check that your computer firewall will allow all traffic from the NAS. As a test you could temporarily disable it.
    The Firewall in your router is between your network & the outside world and shouldn’t need adjusting

Anonymous
    Inactive

I seem to have solved the problem by simply disabling the service and then re-enabling it. How would one know that this is a necessary step? I just happened to read it in the course of perusing hundreds of postings on the web. Solving even simple problems on underdocumented software can take hours and hours of research on the internet. Maybe they expect us to do this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@howardg wrote:

I seem to have solved the problem by simply disabling the service and then re-enabling it. How would one know that this is a necessary step? I just happened to read it in the course of perusing hundreds of postings on the web. Solving even simple problems on underdocumented software can take hours and hours of research on the internet. Maybe they expect us to do this?

1st
    It’s NOT a necessary step!!
    After install the service is started and trying to use the predefined port, most sofware firewalls have the function to ask you if you really trust the new software when it’s trying to connect at the first time and some times if you miss this “question” from your firewall, you get the kind of problem you are talking about.

2nd
    Firefly is a free and opensource software which among other things means that the people developing it do this on their free time for fun. Look at what you got without paying a dime, you got the best Mediaserver software there is.

And at last
    Underdocumented????
    There’s lots and lots of documents for Firefly and you have this great forum to ask question in or just search for you solution.
    And yes, you are expected to read threads in this forum as well as reading as much documentation as you need.
    Who knows, maybe some day it’s you requesting a great feature to make the Firefly even more outstanding then it allready is.

stretch
    Participant

@WilsonTobbe

The OP has received Firefly preinstalled on the ReadyNAS Duo so he has actually paid for something, just not to the Firefly developer.
    Netgear provide very little information. The limited information they do provide is hidden so deep that it’s difficult to find.
    This is no different to any other NAS vendor that has an “iTunes Streaming Server” on their product

I’ve tried searching Netgears’ knowledge database system for info and get nothing. Yet if you search the ReadyNAS forum you might stumble across a post that contains a link to an article in Netgears’ “KB” system.

The fun part is that Firefly on the ReadyNAS is a svn-1696 / svn-1676 hybrid + a few extra customisations.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@stretch & howardg

Ok, maybe i was i a liitle hard on him/you and i’m sorry for that (it was early…).

But it still not a lack of information for Firefly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No offense taken. I am happy about the willingness of people here to help. Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.