CAN YOU SET UP A STATIC PLAYLIST?????? Racking my brain

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion CAN YOU SET UP A STATIC PLAYLIST?????? Racking my brain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    matt21572
    Participant

CAN you set up a static playlist, I am running 2.4 the last stable version on my fedora 6 box. I love it and can set up smartplaylists fine and understand the whole m3u thing and can turn it on and off. I just can’t figure out how to create a static playlist that i can add and subtrack songs to manually. Is it possible if not do I need a nightly and if I need a nightly where do I find it and how do I install it.

Thanks in advance

Matt

CCRDude
    Participant

Didn’t you understand “the whole m3u thing”? πŸ˜‰

Fire up nano or vi or whatever and type in all the filenames of songs you want in that list, full path of course. Well, or choose more comfortable methods for this, up to using any media player and storing the playlist from it.

matt21572
    Participant

Ok maybe I didn’t make myself understood, I have playlists when I enable m3u, they were set up a long time ago and are a lot of different ones. But i can’t add to them using itunes, I can not right click on a song and add it to that playlist or drag and drop it to that playlist and I really don’t know how to add a playlist that allows the drag and drop function. Like if I am using itunes normally without a linux server running mt-daapd I can create a playlist (static) and add songs from my library to that playlist. I thought i could do this to my linux server running my songs via mt-daapd. If anyone can help me please do, I will love you forever.

Thanks in advance, and oh by the way, this is a freaking awsome program. Absolutely the best linux program I have found yet and played with.

rpedde
    Participant

@matt21572 wrote:

Ok maybe I didn’t make myself understood, I have playlists when I enable m3u, they were set up a long time ago and are a lot of different ones. But i can’t add to them using itunes, I can not right click on a song and add it to that playlist or drag and drop it to that playlist and I really don’t know how to add a playlist that allows the drag and drop function. Like if I am using itunes normally without a linux server running mt-daapd I can create a playlist (static) and add songs from my library to that playlist. I thought i could do this to my linux server running my songs via mt-daapd. If anyone can help me please do, I will love you forever.

Thanks in advance, and oh by the way, this is a freaking awsome program. Absolutely the best linux program I have found yet and played with.

With latest nightlies, you can have it read your iTunes xml file. Are you windows or mac on your iTunes? And where is your music stored now?

CCRDude
    Participant

So, it’s not about being able to set up static playlists, but about doing it comfortable, right?

You can’t change playlists of remote connections – they’re purely readonly. To do it in iTunes only, you would have to have a setup like Ron describes – having Firefly use the local database of an existing iTunes, where you could use that one… but to be honest, I don’t see any sense in having to copy the xml file over again and again after every single change πŸ˜‰

I think there was some very early thing in the web interface as well (not linked in the interface yet or something), but it didn’t improve over the past months if I’m not mistaken.

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

– having Firefly use the local database of an existing iTunes, where you could use that one… but to be honest, I don’t see any sense in having to copy the xml file over again and again after every single change πŸ˜‰

Right. Were I to do this (and not using rsync on a cron job, or if I were on Widnows), then I’d use tweakui to move my “My Music” to a network share and use that share as the root of the mp3_dir.

CCRDude
    Participant

Hmmm I never moved one of the shell folders to a network drive, but if that actually works, it would indeed be quite a good way to do it πŸ™‚

fizze
    Participant

Yes, it works. But be aware of some weird errors when the network drive isnt available. It might not be critical for “My Music” but for “Documents and Settings” e.g. it is πŸ˜‰

matt21572
    Participant

I do in fact have windows and all of my music is stored on my linux server which holds all my music and serves it to all my computers via the network via mt-daapd server . I want to make playlists that are on the server so if i am downstairs and add a song to a static playlist (Which I don’t know how to set up yet) and then be able to play that song from that playlist somewhere else in my house.

I really do appreciate all your replies, you guys rock. I havn’t tried the nighties yet and don’t know how, but if that solves this problem then i will do it.

Oh and i don’t have any music on any of my computers, they are all on the server, so my xml file wouldn’t really work unless i put it all on one of my desktops and set up playlists that way, but if i add or subtract from the server I would have to do that too on my desktop. Pain in the ass and probobly not worth it.

But I do love what this program does so far, freeeeeeking awsome.

Thanks guys

Matt

beerfan
    Participant

If you’re using Vista, I’d suggest using creating a symlink at “My MusiciTunesiTunes Music Library.xml” which points to the Firefly copy instead of hacking the “My Music” path. This seems less risky to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

You could also try using a junction if you’re using an older version of Win but it is less likely to be safe or even work.

Finally, keep in mind that with any of these solutions you’d have to wait for Firefly to update again and then disconnect iTunes (or whatever client) before you’d see the new playlist(s). Somehow I doubt that Apple will ever modify the DAAP protocol to support remote changes because it wouldn’t make sense for you to change someone elses shared iTunes library.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.