Can view but not play songs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ftgy

Ok, I am having some wierd problems here. I am _very_ new to linux so, please, be gentle.

I am running Ubuntu (the newest one). I got mt-daapd running and can see the web page it serves. I have it scanning home/user/media/mp3. i have grip set to rip and encode files to that same directory, within directories for each artist and CD. Now, the problem:

my other computer with iTunes can see every song that is placed or ripped into that directory, but for the ones that are ripped (as opposed to downloaded) to that directory the play time says “continuous” and it will not play. If I download an mp3 to that directory it will play over the network just fine. All the other info (artist, album, etc) displays fine.

Also, I ripped a cd to wav, in the shared dir. I then manually told LAME to encode it into that directory, and the resulting file was then served with no problems over the network.

So, wtf? Any help is _greatly_ appreciated. Seriously, any thoughts you might have, right or wrong.

PS, if I move or rename a file within the shared directory, even if it served ok before, it will not serve anymore, even after a manual scan

#
    # mt-daapd.conf
    #
    # Edited: Sat Dec 23 01:12:42 2006
    # By:
    #
    web_root /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
    port 3689
    admin_pw

mp3_dir /home/alice/media/mp3
    servername

runas root [PPS: I have the exact same problems when running as primary user]
    playlist /etc/mt-daapd.playlist
    extensions .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,wma,wmv,flac,ogg
    db_dir /var/cache/mt-daapd
    rescan_interval 300
    scan_type 2
    always_scan 0
    logfile /var/log/mt-daapd.log
    process_m3u 0
    compress 0

rpedde
    Participant

@ftgy wrote:

Ok, I am having some wierd problems here. I am _very_ new to linux so, please, be gentle.

You are running an old version (0.2.4?) that doesn’t transcode ogg or flac. You’ll want to probably run a newer version (http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org). Delete your config file, and install the newer package. Let it put in a new config file. Then edit the config file to point to the right directories.

You’ll probably want to set the “runas” user to “alice”, or whoever’s home directory it is.

That should get you going.

— Ron

ftgy

Turns out the problem was that the cd ripping program was not encoding the files correctly. That has been fixed and it all works fine…. well…. almost

The second problem remains: If a file is renamed/moved he database is not updated with the new path, so it still shows up but will not play. I have to remove the file from the mt-daapd folder, update db, and replace it before the file will work. A very silly problem. (see http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?p=8748)

As for the version thing, I am _very_ newbie to linux, and am running ubuntu. Whichever version I have was the only version I could find with a .deb package. If anyone has the time or inclination to explain how to automate updates to nightly builds, please do so.

rpedde
    Participant

@ftgy wrote:

As for the version thing, I am _very_ newbie to linux, and am running ubuntu. Whichever version I have was the only version I could find with a .deb package. If anyone has the time or inclination to explain how to automate updates to nightly builds, please do so.

http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org. You’ll find .debs for nightlies there. You’ll want to remove your existing package, delete the config file and install the new package. Then edit the config file to taste.

Do make sure you delete the existing config file. The config file formats have changed, and you’ll want to have your config file in the new format.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.