Browsing by Artist in Playlists?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, how is it going?

First I apologize if this question has been asked in some form elsewhere. I’ve searched the forums and elsewhere for a resolution but haven’t found one.

In short: I’m trying to figure out if I can change the way my smart playlists present my music over my Roku Soundbridge.

Basically I’m trying to reproduce a feature that I love in Winamp, which is the “smart view” within Winamp’s media library that allows you to display results in the Artist – Album format.

Specifically I have a Winamp “Smart View” setup to show me albums I’ve added to my library in the past month. The beauty is I can click on the smart view and see only the five or six new albums in my collection. I can browse by Artist to either the album or a particular song.

I’d love to reproduce this behavior on my Soundbridge.

So far I’ve setup a Smart Playlist which shows the tracks added in the past month, but they are literally a playlist. I’d rather have the Smart Playlist show me the Artists added in the last month, and allow me to navigate to their respective new albums.

Is there anyway to do this via Smart Playlists or some other function of Firefly?

About my system: It is a Windows 2003 Server running Firefly Version svn-1696. I do not run Winamp or iTunes on this system.

I want to stress that I’m not a “playlist person” – I generally listen to individual albums and the only reason I’ve been experimenting with “Smart Playlists” is to try to reproduce this “Smart View” behavior which I enjoy.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

fizze
    Participant

There have been a few thoughts about something like this here.
    See: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?p=15468

I still think its doable, but the question would be how to “trick” the Soundbridge into browsing it like an artist, or album.

I could see how one would have to swap artists and albums, which is ok I think, and create one, or two “special” artists so when you browse by them you really get the view that you created in Winamp.
    Still, thats a long shot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

fizze, thank you for the follow up.

I suppose I possibly may have become hung up on the Smart Playlist aspect of the feature I’m looking for.

The same goal could be acomplished by sorting the the Browse list by “date added” rather than alphabetically.

Is there any known hack that could expand the sorting abilities of the browse list?

Thanks again!

rpedde
    Participant

@mrgoodbar wrote:

fizze, thank you for the follow up.

I suppose I possibly may have become hung up on the Smart Playlist aspect of the feature I’m looking for.

The same goal could be acomplished by sorting the the Browse list by “date added” rather than alphabetically.

Is there any known hack that could expand the sorting abilities of the browse list?

Thanks again!

Not right now. I’m working on adding “top n” and server-side sorting for returned items, but I hadn’t thought of adding sort options for browses. It will be doable when I get the rest of the sort stuff added, but I don’t quite have all the pieces together to do this yet.

Getting close, though.

— Ron

Bo Mellberg
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Getting close, though.

— Ron

That is really nice to hear! Keep it up Ron!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.