browing artists: sort order for objects with "the"

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion browing artists: sort order for objects with "the"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hk242
    Participant

Sorry if this question has already been answered, it’s hard to search for a “the” and “artist, order, sort, browse” was not successful.

Browsing artits on client-side (Soundbridge, but also itunes-Client), the “the” seems to be treated differently, e.g. “The Beatles” is under “B”, not “T” (mp3 tag is as expected)

Is there a way to change this behaviour ?

thx

rpedde
    Participant

@hk242 wrote:

Sorry if this question has already been answered, it’s hard to search for a “the” and “artist, order, sort, browse” was not successful.

Browsing artits on client-side (Soundbridge, but also itunes-Client), the “the” seems to be treated differently, e.g. “The Beatles” is under “B”, not “T” (mp3 tag is as expected)

Is there a way to change this behaviour ?

thx

Not currently. Hope so soon.

hk242
    Participant

Is it part of the soundbridge or the server ?

rpedde
    Participant

@hk242 wrote:

Typically, the client does this (iTunes does, sb doesn’t), but it *could* be done on the server, so I’ll probably do it on the server just to help out weak clients.

– Ron

dfsuther
    Participant

Any chance you could also implement correct Mc and Mac sorting?

The rule (last time I asked a professional librarian) is that names beginning with Mc or Mac come before all the other M’s but after all the Ls. The rule applies whether or not there’s a space, but requires a capital letter at the beginning of the rest of the name. So: McThud, Mc Thud, MacThud, and Mac Thud are all actually the same name and should sort identically (ahead of the Ms), but Macthud doesn’t follow the McMac rule, and sorts normally.

To complete the set of examples, Mac thud would follow the Mc/Mac rule, but is just plain incorrectly capitalized. It should really be Mac Thud, instead.

Dean

S80_UK
    Participant

@dfsuther wrote:

The rule (last time I asked a professional librarian) is that names beginning with Mc or Mac come before all the other M’s but after all the Ls.

Hmmm – interesting…. I guess if your librarian didn’t have a surname beginning MAB as I do. In UK phonebooks at least, Mc and Mac are treated as identical, but are placed (I think correctly) between Mab… and Mad…

Cheers.

Les.

hk242
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@hk242 wrote:

Typically, the client does this (iTunes does, sb doesn’t), but it *could* be done on the server, so I’ll probably do it on the server just to help out weak clients.

– Ron

Very strange – my sb definitely does it (firmware 3.0.44)…

It would be great to change this behaviour…

hk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.