Being overrun by spam

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rsl360
    Participant

As I’m sure everyone can see, we are being overrun by spam. It’s not too hard to see what’s spam and what’s not, at least if you are already familiar with the board, but it’s not very friendly to legitimate new users. And I know Ron is busy, probably like with his real job. Is there anything the legitimate users can do to help? I for one could not take permanent responsibility for deleting spam, but I could mark it. (be kind of fun, actually. Die spammer, die, KILL KILL KILL.) Maybe some sort of voting system, kind of like the way (I think) Craig’s list works? Maybe if users who joined say, over a year ago could vote, and the spam got 10 negative votes, it could get killed. (or made invisible, which would be much the same, and yet all the correction of mistakes.

I’m afraid the site will die if we cannot fix this.

Thanks

Robbie

EVILRipper
    Participant

I doubt implementing such new functionality isn’t possible. Unless someone would be crazy enough to take a day to code it. Not gonna happen I guess.
    However, I know fizze is admin/mod and can delete spam. He does so every once in a while. But he can’t check each day.
    The easiest solution is more active users who can delete spam at a regular basis.

SydneyGuy
    Participant

I have been in touch with Ron about it. He hopes to update the board software on the weekend and to implement tighter “captcha” measures for board registration. Hopefully that will make it a lot harder for them to auto-register.

He also wants to update one of the board management tools to make it easy to delete any spam that does appear.

He is busy with real life but I hope he gets a chance to take a look at it.

stretch
    Participant

@EVILRipper wrote:

The easiest solution is more active users who can delete spam at a regular basis.

I’ll put my hand up for that one if it helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too could help deleting that cr*p.

fizze
    Participant

Well I’m one of the moderators that flush out spam regularly. But recently its become such a flood its impossible to keep up.

Good to hear Ron’s still alive and kicking though! 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

more than happy to help too 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know some forum software has features that don’t allow new users to post messages containing url’s until they have reached a certain post count level. Other features include requiring posts approved by a moderator for all new users (count less than a defined value). I’m willing to help anyway I can.

fizze
    Participant

@SydneyGuy: Any news from Ron?
    He could assign a few more moderators, that would definetly help, and doesn’t take too much time on his side.

S80_UK
    Participant

I’m also still lurking around here and ready to help if I can…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.