Avahi support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    saintdev

Ron, I was wondering if you were planning on adding support for mDNS via Avahi. It seems that some distros have a problem with the liscense on the Apple mDNS code (witch Howl uses some of)

http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2005q3/003106.html

It seems, as Lennart, says in this message, that Debian refuses to accept the Apple liscensed code (weather in their mDNS or Howl’s), and Avahi is the LGPL replacement.

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Avahi

rpedde
    Participant

Yes!

The next official release will not have the Apple mDNS responder built-in. I hope Howl 2.0 will be out by then (they were saying summer ’05. Isn’t that where we are?), and then there will be two free mDNS implementations, as the Howl 2.0 is going to eliminate the apple code.

I hope the next version will support:

1. dns_sd.h interface — this will allow it to use Apple’s mDNS, and Howl 2.0
    2. osx. native interface — just like it does today
    3. avahi, now that it looks like it’s actually a real product.

Debian is my distro of choice, so it bums me that Howl is only available in non-free. Also, I heard from a SuSE guy that this is what they use in their office, and they considered it for inclusion, but had to reject it due to ASPL.

Wish apple would just dual-license it.

But yeah, that’s where it’s going to go.

rpedde
    Participant

I think it’s probably a bit early for avahi… I’ll put code out there, but I don’t know if I can test it well.

The packages are still in experimental on the debian side — 0.3 requires d-bus 0.3, and that’s definately experimental.

In any case, it might be several weeks before it shakes out enough to be of use, but this is definately on my todo list.

saintdev

rpedde wrote:

I think it’s probably a bit early for avahi… I’ll put code out there, but I don’t know if I can test it well.

The packages are still in experimental on the debian side — 0.3 requires d-bus 0.3, and that’s definately experimental.

In any case, it might be several weeks before it shakes out enough to be of use, but this is definately on my todo list.

Well I’ll test anything you want to put out.

Avahi 0.4 is out, btw ๐Ÿ˜‰

rpedde
    Participant

Release early, release often?

rpedde
    Participant

sweet… I really wanted to see rhythmbox get daap support. Not surprisingly, the music in my house is most easily accessible via daap. ๐Ÿ™‚

I just installed an ubuntu box, so maybe I can track avahi better.

The avahi-core is too big to include in mt-daapd, I think, and perhaps there are enough alternatives now mDNS-wise that it makes sense to drop the included mDNS altogether and just interface with an existing mDNS server — avahi, howl, apple, whatever.

rpedde
    Participant

Okay, I’ve already snarled my ubuntu box fatally.

I can’t seem to get nvidia + custom kernel working. I’m about done screwing with it.. I may just go back to debian and wait for the avahi packages to drop into at least unstable.

Was going to try gentoo as another alternative to tracking packages early, but of course something was screwed up in the repo and I ended up with package deps that wouldn’t compile. I guess that’s the other side of new packages — no testing whatsoever.

Still, this was a vanilla box — no pimped out use flags or anything stupid. Can’t believe it would be possible to check in breakage for a vanilla box. Don’t they have any kind of automated build testing?

I may never get a box that will run avahi.

rpedde
    Participant

I’ve got a cheap motherboard with a craptastic SiS IDE controller that has a PCI id that isn’t recognized by the SiS 5513 driver.

So it works okay without it, just no DMA. Don’t know how long it’s been since you’ve run a system with DMA disabled, but wow! Does it suck!

So I got that going — the ubuntu make-kpkg works the same as debian’s, although the kernel package somehow forgets to mkinitrd/mkinitramfs, but I caught it before I rebooted, so that’s okay.

But now that I’ve got a custom kernel, I have to build the nvidia stuff from scratch. So I finally find the nvidia-kernel-source (why would it be in Universe, when there are packages that reference it in the “blessed” package list?). Anyway, got that figured out, but keep getting glx errors.

I gave up on building official debian-style nvidia packages, so I was going to just punt and use the nvidia build-from-source script installer thing, but that didn’t work either.. I kept getting segfaults in gcc-3.4, which I figured was hardware problems, but I ran the machine on diags all night and didn’t come up with any ram errors (which is what I would have thought a segfaulting gcc would indicate).

So anyway, no real luck.

I might keep struggling with it for a while, but I’m not hopeful. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bottom line, I guess, is that every os sucks. Some just more than others. (I’m talking about you, Windows).

rpedde
    Participant

I finally got a gentoo build together that’s amd64 + custom kernel + nvidia + vmware + avahi 0.4.

Finally.

Still, I need to work on the playlist stuff first. I want to get the smart playlist stuff working again, then I’m going to work on tearing out the built-in mdns and refactoring the database stuff.

rpedde
    Participant

Hi. Thanks for the heads up. I had already looked at the standalone publishing example from svn, and it looks pretty straightforward.

I’ve already got the publishing set up in a forked process that communicates with the main process via pipe, so I think it will be pretty easy to integrate.

I do have a short text record, but I looked at that as well, and doesn’t look like it will be a problem. A short afternoon would probably do it.

If I run into any problems though, I’ll definitely drop you an email. Thanks.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.