art_filename

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    josejuan05
    Participant

I know in the older (stable) releases there used to be an option in the mt-daapd.conf file for automatic folder art integration. But that seems to have disappeared from the file. I looked on an older machine and found the “art_filename = folder.jpg” line. So I placed it in my config file (I’m running SVN 1528 on Ubuntu 6.10). However, the art doesn’t show up in iTunes.

rpedde
    Participant

@josejuan05 wrote:

I know in the older (stable) releases there used to be an option in the mt-daapd.conf file for automatic folder art integration. But that seems to have disappeared from the file. I looked on an older machine and found the “art_filename = folder.jpg” line. So I placed it in my config file (I’m running SVN 1528 on Ubuntu 6.10). However, the art doesn’t show up in iTunes.

The feature has been killed. It was making the file serving code way too complex, not to mention it didn’t work when seeking, and it was corrupting alac files and making the soundbridge choke.

It was a mess, so I axed it. By now, pretty much all taggers support embedded art, and I think that’s probably the better way to go anyway.

If people get really up in arms about it, I might consider putting it back, but it will have to be in a different form that it is now.

— Ron

sansp00
    Participant

I am one of those folks who is affected by the change … Embedding the artwork takes a long time to do ๐Ÿ˜ฏ compared to having a simple folder.jpg.
    Even thought I am not a very happy camper about this, if you say that embedded is the way to go, then it is what I’ll do ๐Ÿ™ You just found a way to occupy my next week-end ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Patrick S.

CCRDude
    Participant

Took me about (in theory) three clicks to embed all my artwork ๐Ÿ˜‰

TagsRevisited has an option (screenshot) to automatically detect and embed artwork (including folder.jpg, ..Album name (front).jpg etc.), at least for mp3s. Just browse to a music folder, check that art is now included, click save. I did it folder by folder, but in theorie you could load the whole collection at once, click save and go away for a few coffees ๐Ÿ˜‰

sansp00
    Participant

I tried with mp3tag in the past, but with around 12000 songs to process via SMB, it crashed, corrupted files and took a hell of a long time to do it … In the end. it was a bad experience.
    If there was a command line program on the slug that would do the trick, I want to head about it.
    Thanks
    Patrick S.

gordo
    Participant

I took the plunge and added art once I found the art_filename thing was messing up the alac files. Omni encoder (see hydrogen audio) is a pc program that will automatically add album art from a file when it transcodes (and you can transcode to the same format you started with). There is also a batch file on hydrogenaudio for transcoding flac to flac that can add art from a specified filename. I used this option for my flacs and updated them all to 1.1.4 -8 encoding at the same time as adding art. Search ha on flac 1.1.4 transcoding and you should find it. In Vista it has trouble finding the flacs so you have to first make a text file with all the names (there is a separate demo batch file that does this). Finally tag&rename is a pretty painless way to take care of things more manually.

sansp00
    Participant

Well, I finished embedding art yesterday night … Was a real pain in the behind. One week-end playing around trying out tools and the other actually doing it. Mp3tag tends to corrupt cover art I figured. tag revisited did a great job, but had to do it album by album ๐Ÿ™
    Hope it was worth all the trouble …
    Patrick S.

CCRDude
    Participant

Tagging and cover art is quite a difficult thing in ID3v2.3, since the standard allows some manipulations of the bitmap or the whole tag that are not easily recognizable when dealing with text tags only.
    MP3s have small parts of music information all starting with FF FE (just a rough example, it’s a bit more complicated). To avoid that MP3 players that do not understand the ID3v2 tag would accidently think an embedded image would contain music, all these FF FE occurences inside the image (or the whole tag, depending on ID3v3 vs. 4) CAN get replaced, if a special flag is set. Some taggers ignore this flag, which usually destroys a lot of the tag, maybe even a few seconds of the music.

Btw, while TagsRevisited is kind of bad to use for the whole collection, I hope you had at least seen the “Recursive” option in the lower right? Would have allowed to do everything from artist to artist instead of going into each album at least.

sansp00
    Participant

Yes I did see the option, but since cover art got corrupted by mp3tag, going artist by artist instead of albums messed up the use of the option ๐Ÿ™
    Anyway, it’s done now and I honestly don’t want to do it again !
    I did notice that some of my mp3 had other misc tag in tagrevisited that I never saw in mp3tag. Probably due to the fact that I used a number of rippers with the years. I thought of messing with them to make all of it pretty and clean, but the afterthought of doing it for 12000 song kinda discouraged me. Since it does not beak anything yet, I’ll leave it as it is.
    Patrick S.

yรƒยธrn

It’s almost been a year now.
    Is there any sign of this feature coming back sometime?
    I really loved it, so I haven’t been updating mt-daapd since 0.2.4-2 anymore, just to keep it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.