Apple permissions and Firefly meta data/Smart Playlists.

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Apple permissions and Firefly meta data/Smart Playlists.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dovad
    Participant

I’ve been having issues with having my meta data (Ratings) and Smart Playlists (the ones created in iTunes) display from my Firefly server. My Firefly server is version “svn-1586” running on a Power PC Linkstation under FreeLink 1.1. I’ve got the 2.6 kernel installed as well. My Library is compiled and maintained on an Apple iMac G4 running Leopard. I sync the iTunes library with Chronosync.

First Chronosync was giving the error: “The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder” for the files”:

/Volumes/shared-1/iTunes Library
    /Volumes/shared-1/iTunes Music Library.xml

This directory “shared-1” does not show in the finder but if I log on with the Terminal as root I can see it. Does anyone understand what this “shared-1” directory is all about? In the Finder I am using the standard “Music” folder which does not show as this “shared-1” directory. After using sftp to copy the above 2 files to the Linkstation I can now see my meta data as well as my Smart Playlists. I also changed the permission of these 2 files to 777 in frustration. I’ve since run Chronosync and it errors with the same error except the 2 files mentioned earlier now have a “0” in front of them i.e.:

“The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder” for the files”:

/Volumes/shared-1/0iTunes Library
    /Volumes/shared-1/0iTunes Music Library.xml
    and now a new file:
    /Volumes/shared-1/0.DS_Store

Does anyone know what the same file name with this “0” in front is all about?

Thanks…
    Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@dovad wrote:

I’ve been having issues with having my meta data (Ratings) and Smart Playlists (the ones created in iTunes) display from my Firefly server. My Firefly server is version “svn-1586” running on a Power PC Linkstation under FreeLink 1.1. I’ve got the 2.6 kernel installed as well. My Library is compiled and maintained on an Apple iMac G4 running Leopard. I sync the iTunes library with Chronosync.

First Chronosync was giving the error: “The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder” for the files”:

/Volumes/shared-1/iTunes Library
    /Volumes/shared-1/iTunes Music Library.xml

This directory “shared-1” does not show in the finder but if I log on with the Terminal as root I can see it. Does anyone understand what this “shared-1” directory is all about? In the Finder I am using the standard “Music” folder which does not show as this “shared-1” directory. After using sftp to copy the above 2 files to the Linkstation I can now see my meta data as well as my Smart Playlists. I also changed the permission of these 2 files to 777 in frustration. I’ve since run Chronosync and it errors with the same error except the 2 files mentioned earlier now have a “0” in front of them i.e.:

“The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder” for the files”:

/Volumes/shared-1/0iTunes Library
    /Volumes/shared-1/0iTunes Music Library.xml
    and now a new file:
    /Volumes/shared-1/0.DS_Store

Does anyone know what the same file name with this “0” in front is all about?

Thanks…
    Dave

Not sure. Is it possible this is a chronosync bug?

Is it possible to use rsync? I use something like this:

rsync -av --delete -e ssh "/Users/ron/Music/iTunes/" ron@linksys-server:/share/hdd/data/music/iTunes

And then kick it off periodically with Lingon.

Works For Me. ™

dovad
    Participant

Ron,

I tried rsync and got this error:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)

Any clue what I am doing wrong?

Thanks…
    Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@dovad wrote:

Ron,

I tried rsync and got this error:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)

Any clue what I am doing wrong?

Thanks…
    Dave

Perhaps rsync isnt’ installed on the remote server (or not in a directory on he path), or perhaps you have something in your .bashrc printing something (fortune, maybe?) in non-interactive shells.

Just guesses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.