Anyone use anything other than iTunes for music management?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Anyone use anything other than iTunes for music management?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

For Windoze, I love the ease of use of iTunes for managing music, creating playlists ect. However I really dislike that does not support the WMA format unless you convert it to an MP3.

Anyone recommend a more “open” client that they use that also supports creating playlists that firefly can use?

Thanks

stretch
    Participant

Media Monkey

Anonymous
    Inactive

iTunes is ok for me . 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

@stretch wrote:

Media Monkey

Can Media Monkey create the equivalent of your “iTunes Music Library.xml” file like the one iTunes creates?

I installed Media Monkey and it looks like it creates a propriety index file of my collection, file is called MM.DB.

stretch
    Participant

In Media Monkey there is an export playlist option. Each playlist is exported as a separate .m3u file.

Make sure *Process .m3u files* is turned on in Firefly´s config page.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@stretch wrote:

In Media Monkey there is an export playlist option. Each playlist is exported as a separate .m3u file.

Make sure *Process .m3u files* is turned on in Firefly´s config page.

Making playlists isn’t the problem I am running into.

Remove iTunes from my setup. Assume I don’t have the itunes index xml file. What I am looking for is another program that can generate this index in this same format as itunes. Since iTunes does not support WMA files (which is a large part of my collection), I can’t index these files, and since they can’t be indexed, I can’t play them from the m3u playlists.

stretch
    Participant

😕 Why?

Firefly generates its own index (songs.db or songs3.db) and only needs the iTunes library file for playlists.
    Thats where exporting playlists as m3u in media monkey comes into the equation.
    Point Media Monkey at your music library, set up your playlists and then export them to Firefly using the m3u format.
    If Firefly is set to process m3u files and wma is on the list of file extensions then you should have no problems.

As an added bonus, Media monkey understands aac (just not the iTMS DRM protected variety)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok. Got it.

I thought firefly had to have access to the itunes xml file. I didn’t know you could just configure firefly to point to your music file directories.

Sorry for the confusion…on my part.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.