Anyone have a Kurobox step by step?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Digital Larry
    Participant

Looks like PPC is not supported in the binaries releases, is this true?

So then I have to set up the development environment, seems like a lot of things to deal with and plenty oppty for error or tripping over known issues.

E.g. which OS to start with?

Also, does the Linux OS access anything from the installed hard drive, or do all apps have to be on flash?

Digital Larry
    Participant

I found what looks like a good place to start, will come back if this doesn’t work out.

http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/Menu42.html

rpedde
    Participant

@Digital Larry wrote:

I found what looks like a good place to start, will come back if this doesn’t work out.

http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/Menu42.html

I know some people that used that for a while, seems to work okay, although last I read, alan stopped updating it in favor of a mac mini solution.

If you were to install gentoo on the machine, you can just emerge mt-daapd. If you install debian, there are already relatively recent nightlies in testing and unstable, and if you were to run stable, there are binaries on the nightlies pages for powerpc for sarge.

So if that doesn’t work out, there’s plenty of other alternatives.

— Ron

CCRDude
    Participant

I have Debian installed on my Kurobox for some months now, and am quite happy with it (it’s on the harddisk, not in the flash, the flash contains just a boot loader and an emergency system).

Since I do install nightlies through compiling, I had to set up the development environment. Either on the Kurobox- or Terastation-Wiki there’s a list somewhere of what is usually needed. I must really say that it was much less things to deal with than anticipated (even though I did compile with ogg, flac and musepack support). In case of problems, use apt-cache search often to find the missing packages ๐Ÿ˜€

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

I have Debian installed on my Kurobox for some months now, and am quite happy with it (it’s on the harddisk, not in the flash, the flash contains just a boot loader and an emergency system).

I’ll second that… I helped a buddy install debian on his Kuro. Worked nice, and who doesn’t like the convenience of a full debian install. I was pretty impressed.

So much so that I got the linkstation HG and promptly debianized it. (Kuro website was down for several months when I was wanting to get the Kuro).

— Ron

Digital Larry
    Participant

I got the Sylver 5.00 (which is apparently a Debian 2.6 variant) and after a couple of hitches got it running just fine on my KuroBox-HG. Even has the mt-daapd installer built-in (not sure of the version) and my Roku found the Kurobox just fine (even though there are no files to serve yet).

That’s a bit of a thrill! (after spending about a week banging my head about the Debian install which I could NOT get to work).

Now I need to proceed to move some files over to the Kuro (HG) and index them. I don’t (or wasn’t) running iTunes so I am not sure how to do this. Basically I have a stack of MP3 files that were just ripped from my CDs using Real Player and various other sources – would like to ftp the whole shebang onto the Kuro from my Windows drive and take it from there.

I didn’t yet find the Web admin for the mt-daapd but I’m sure it’s around here somewhere.

Thx,

DL

CCRDude
    Participant

Just use http://a.b.c.d:3689/ in your browser, where a.b.c.d is the IP address of the Kuro, and you’ll see the web interface.

The Debian following some Wiki I did has created /mnt for all the data (not really perfect, but well…), so I did create a folder /mnt/media and put all my files in there (I did install Samba and copied them from Windows and Mac through the smb share though, not through ftp). Then I just added that path in mt-daapds web admin, and voila… without any iTunes involved ๐Ÿ˜‰

Digital Larry
    Participant

I made the folder /mnt/iTunes and copied some folders over there. Background Scan doesn’t seem to find anything. When I was using Firefly on my Windows PC it scanned fine and served everything to my Roku.

I am using the default install of mt-daapd supplied in the Sylver 5.00 build for Kurobox-HG, and the Web interface doesn’t allow me to configure anything so I am thinking I really need to start from step one to manually configure the server for this box.

Where to start? I know that I will find the info eventually but am a little apprehensive just because of getting into some dead ends following various wikis (mostly due to outdated info I’d imagine).

Thanx for any help.

DL

CCRDude
    Participant

The web interface doesnt allow you to configure anything? What exactly do you mean by that?

I’ve made you a screenshot:

* Open your browser
    * Navigate to http://192.168.x.y:3689/ (use the IP of your server here)
    * Enter any name and your password (not sure what the default is ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
    * Click on “Configuration” at the left,
    * then enter /mnt/iTunes where I have /mnt/media . Make sure about the case – on Linux, “itunes” is NOT the same as “iTunes”, for example.
    * Click on Server Status,
    * then on Start Scan.
    * Wait until then scan is finished.
    * In your iTunes, disconnect from the server if you’re still connected (since ti won’t recognize changes once connected)…
    * And connect to the server.

the Web interface doesn’t allow me to configure anything” isn’t really a helpful description of what is going wrong, so why don’t you tell us which of the above steps fail ๐Ÿ˜‰

Digital Larry
    Participant

First problem appears to be that I am using a quite old version of mt-daapd:

Version cvs-20050815

Which was just what came with this Sylver distro for KuroBox.

Maybe I should get something more up to date!

Is there some automated way to do this?

Thx, DL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.