Anybody got there AppleTV ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sansp00
    Participant

The ship date was supposed to be this week afaik … Anybody got a unit and tried to use it with firefly ?
    Thanks !
    Patrick S.

CCRDude
    Participant

I think Ron had mentioned somewhere that his was pre-ordered already?

Anyway, since Firefly works with iTunes 7.1.1 which was probably released especially for AppleTV, I would assume that music shouldn’t be any problem.
    Not sure about videos, I guess that’s up to testing…

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

I think Ron had mentioned somewhere that his was pre-ordered already?

Anyway, since Firefly works with iTunes 7.1.1 which was probably released especially for AppleTV, I would assume that music shouldn’t be any problem.
    Not sure about videos, I guess that’s up to testing…

I’ll have mine tonight, so we’ll see.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I’ll have mine tonight, so we’ll see.

So far doesn’t look promising. It won’t stream from an “iTunes” server without entering a key of some kind. Doesn’t just browse, like FrontRow (why not?)

I’ll be dumping packets tonight to see what’s up, but I expect it might be ugly.

— Ron

CCRDude
    Participant

A key?
    Wasn’t there something during the keynote about this?
    I guess they have to have some kind of pairing (like Bluetooth) to be able limit the number of streaming sources to 5 (or whatever it is)?

Or is it that finally this additional HTTP header thing is no longer optional for the server? That slighty modified MD5 hash of the request URL that the official clients & servers use? (I think I saw that implemented in daapd, but not mt-daapd?)

Srl

AwkwardTV wiki – for discussing the appletv.

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

grommet
    Participant

It seems my Apple contact was correct saying “it’s not going to be easy.” Oh, well.

I have an Apple TV for evaluation right now. I’m underwhelmed so far. Not sure it’s going to be a hit. It might be good enough, though… we’ll see.

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

It seems my Apple contact was correct saying “it’s not going to be easy.” Oh, well.

I have an Apple TV for evaluation right now. I’m underwhelmed so far. Not sure it’s going to be a hit. It might be good enough, though… we’ll see.

I think it will be the hacking that makes it worthwhile. They’ve got it playing xvid and divx and whatnot already. Hard drive size hakcs done, etc.

That will make it a nice platform.

— Ron

the_witness
    Participant

Hello all. Got myself an Apple TV as well, and was wondering what I could do to help with the firefly dev. I’m no super l33t h4X0r, but I’d like to try and help, since I enjoy using the product!

PM or whatnot

Thanks ron!

grommet
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I think it will be the hacking that makes it worthwhile. They’ve got it playing xvid and divx and whatnot already. Hard drive size hakcs done, etc.

That will make it a nice platform.

— Ron

Yes, I think so. I have a feeling I’ll probably like a total port of XBMC running on this better than Apple’s code. 8) Too bad Apple TV is a bit overpriced.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.