Any way to stop Firefly from scanning on startup?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Any way to stop Firefly from scanning on startup?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    toecheese
    Participant

Every time I reboot my Windows machine, Firefly seems to be scanning for files (massive disk activity for 5-10 minutes) and the system is very slow, it takes forever for programs to load. I prefer to have Firefly running at bootup but I’d rather it didn’t scan for files right away. Is ther a way to disable scanning at startup?

rpedde
    Participant

@toecheese wrote:

Every time I reboot my Windows machine, Firefly seems to be scanning for files (massive disk activity for 5-10 minutes) and the system is very slow, it takes forever for programs to load. I prefer to have Firefly running at bootup but I’d rather it didn’t scan for files right away. Is ther a way to disable scanning at startup?

You can set your scan interval to 0. You’d have to manually scan whenever you added files, but that would work.

That’s how I run it.

Also, make sure you aren’t running 1313, as it scans *really* *slowly*.

— Ron

toecheese
    Participant

OK, thanks. As a feature request, it would be nice to be able to leave scanning on but set a delay for the first scan at bootup. There is so much stuff happening at bootup, virus scanners loading, firewalls, all kind of stuff, that it would be nice to be able to tell Firefly to start its first scan of the session after x minutes.

fizze
    Participant

well, just dont start the service on startup then, but wait like a few minutes.
    This sounds like a task / skript on windoze to me 😉

toecheese
    Participant

I can barely get my wife to figure out the Soundbridge, let alone to have to explain how to open Firefly and start it scanning when she adds a song to iTunes!

fizze
    Participant

Check out this:
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/22582/22582.html

a script like:

sleep 120
    "c:program filesfireflyfirefly.exe"

(or however to start firefly on win32)

the “sleep 120” part will the script cause to be paused for 120 seconds.
    [/code]

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Check out this:
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/22582/22582.html

a script like:

sleep 120
    "c:program filesfireflyfirefly.exe"

(or however to start firefly on win32)

the “sleep 120” part will the script cause to be paused for 120 seconds.
    [/code]

probably:

net start "Firefly Media Server"

.. would be the way to start it on win32. You’d want to set the service to manual rather than automatic in control panel -> admin tools -> services.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@toecheese wrote:

This is tracked as Ticket 208, btw.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

r1415 adds an option (scanning/skip_first) that will skip the first scan. It will be available in the next nightlies.

— Ron

toecheese
    Participant

cool! Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.