Another NSLU2 problem, firefly won’t start

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Another NSLU2 problem, firefly won’t start

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    geirgp
    Participant

installed firefly with the ipkg tool. edited the config file and tried to start it up, here’s the output:

# /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    # Couldn't lookup user root
    Error in drop_privs: No such file or directory
    Aborting

i have not changed the “runas” property in the config file, so it is still set to be “root”, besides that I’ve only edited the path to my music collection.

consulting the log file shows the following:

# cat /var/log/mt-daapd.log
    2007-04-04 23:11:12: Starting rendezvous daemon
    2007-04-04 23:11:14: Error in drop_privs: No such file or directory
    2007-04-04 23:11:14: Aborting

Any ideas?

thanks 🙂

rpedde
    Participant

@geirgp wrote:

installed firefly with the ipkg tool. edited the config file and tried to start it up, here’s the output:

# /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    # Couldn't lookup user root
    Error in drop_privs: No such file or directory
    Aborting

Strange. In either 0.2.4 or nightlies, it should run as “guest”. If that’s 0.2.4, you can try making sure there isn’t a trailing space after “root” in the config file. It might be trying to lookup the user “root ” instead.

You could also try changing the runas user to “0”. That should work in theory, too. Although I’d recommend running it as guest for security reasons.

— Ron

geirgp
    Participant

I tried to change “runas” to both “guest” and “0” with no luck, I still get the same error. Any ideas? [/quote]

rpedde
    Participant

@geirgp wrote:

I tried to change “runas” to both “guest” and “0” with no luck, I still get the same error. Any ideas?

[/quote]

How did you edit the config file? With vi on the nslu2, or on a windows machine and copy it over?

If on a windows machine, make sure you edit it with an editor that will do unix linefeeds, like pspad or notepad++.

If it can’t do a password lookup on root, then there is something really wrong.

One thing you might do is just reinstall, overwriting the config file. Make your mp3 directory in public the way the default config is set up and see if it works. If it does, then it’s something in the config editing process that’s hosing it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.