Almost there

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    davesanti
    Participant

Hey all…

I am working on my slug and am so close I can taste it… but I can’t reach the finish line. I am total Noob on this stuff and have bee trying to follow the various instructions and Wikis.

The good news is that I am unlsung, the hardrive is recognized (on usb port 2), and I installed FF (I guess, in theory).

I just can’t get it running.

When I telnet into the SLug, and type

“ps -ef | grep mt-daapd” I get the script similar to richdunlops example:

560 ttyp0 root 2668 S grep mt-daapd

which tells me I am not running.

I try

/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd

And get:

“Bad mp3 directory (/share/hdd/data/public): No such file or directory
    Error reading config file (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf)”

I understand that the “hdd” should be “flash” and I have tried to edit via VI to no success. I am not certain I understand that process as well as I should. I can change the script but it doesn’t seem to stick.

I can’t seem to get to configuration via the slug IP and “3689”, and there is no configuration on the Slug interface that seems to help. I cant get to the UI on FF (probably because it isn’t running?)

Ackkkk.. I am close, but I am such a Noob that I cant get this done. I am happy to have gotten so far without bricking my Slug.

Any all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

davesanti
    Participant

OK, getting closer.. I am 99% of the way there..

I reinstalled using a nightly… and sure enough I cleared through all the isssues noted above. I now have FF up and running and serving my entire music collection.

A couple of issues:

1) Whenever I make any changes to the configuration, I get a yellow box at the bottom with an error related to that change. However, the change holds and does what I have asked.

2) Where do I find the log files. When I had FF running on the PC, I would right click on the icon in the bottom and that would give me the basic interface where I could look at the log.. I have no idea now.

3) Finally, the biggest issue .. the dreaded playlists. The good thing is that it is seeing playlists, the bad thing is that it doesnt see the songs. Any time I click on a playlist it comes back 0 songs. I have created playlists on Itunes, exported them as xml, converted them to m3u’s, created new ones using a playlist creator, etc. I dont really care about the existing, I can start from scratch.

Perhaps the question is more basic… what is the best way to create playlists with FF running on an NAS. I like using Itunes because it is a simple interface, but it doesnt really matter to me how I do it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

stretch
    Participant

1. ???

2. /var/log

3. Can FF see any songs at all, even without playlists?

FF is very particular about where the playlist file are located. They have to be in the top level of the directory structure.

If you have 0 songs in the database then you have a file permission problem

S80_UK
    Participant

My take on this….

1) the “error message but change stored OK” thing seems to be a quirk of build 1586. Myself and several others have also seen it.

2) on a slug there is no log file by default as far as I know – but you can specify its location via the config file / config web page – make sure the path/filename points to somewhere on the hard disk

3) can’t help – sorry – I don’t use playlists

fizze
    Participant

ad 2.)
    Unless you specify a seperate log file for firefly, firefly logs to syslog, which is located in
    /var/log/messages

You might find

tail -f /var/log/messages

handy

ad 3.)
    If playlists are present, but cant find any songs, chances are the path to the files are no longer correct.
    You need unix-friendly path names, and relative path names in your m3u playlists.

Which program did you use to create your playlists?

S80_UK
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

ad 2.)
    Unless you specify a seperate log file for firefly, firefly logs to syslog, which is located in
    /var/log/messages

You might find

tail -f /var/log/messages

handy

Noted – thanks. 😳

davesanti
    Participant

Thak you all for the replies.

The playlists were created by itunes and freeware playlist creator as xml and m3u. I believe it is a relative/absolute path question. FF sees my music library and plays all sings.

I can try editing, but that will get tedious with long lists. What program is being used to create lists that work without editing.

Stretch, the playlists arein the same folder as the music, both loose and in a subfolder called my playlists.

I asigned logfile to “/share/flash/data/public/” which is the same location as the “mymusic” folder is in that holds all my music.

BTW, I tried tail -f /var/log/messages and recived some message but it isnt the log from FF.

Dave

davesanti
    Participant

OK went to the slug to look for the log and at var/messages I get this when I click:

The requested URL ‘%.80s’ resolves to a file that is not world-readable.

I deleted the log path that I had put in previously…. check that I tried to delete the log path and it has crashed the FF twice.. hmmm a new/different bug ? The log path hasnt changed yet.

Dave

fizze
    Participant

/share/flash/data/public/ is an invalid log file. This is a path, not a filename.

/share/flash/data/public/firefly.log would a a nice filename.
    To be able to have firefly log there, you need to create the file, and then give it 755 rights, and set the owner to be guest:everyone.

touch /share/flash/data/public/firefly.log
    chmod 755 /share/flash/data/public/firefly.log
    chown guest:everyone /share/flash/data/public/firefly.log

Would do the trick.
    This gives you read permission, and firefly write permissions. 😉

So then after you started firefly, this would come in handy:

tail -f /share/flash/data/public/firefly.log

[/code]

davesanti
    Participant

Ackk…

I hate being a Noob …. 😀

I am discovering a world where the knwoledge of you guys out there is amazing. I am not a tech guy by trade and just learn and plunk as I can.

Thanks for the advise Fizze.. I will make the changes tonight.

At least I will try, the last 2 times I tried ot change that the Slug crashed on me…

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.