Advanced Directory Configuration?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pipian

I’m not sure how often it would be used, but I recently started up using mt-daapd on my linux server to stream music off a RAID, for the purpose of archiving ALAC files. I’m also archiving the songs as MP3 files for the purposes of saving these files to iPod, but due to the way I’m storing the music, the MP3 files are in the same directories as the Apple Lossless files. This naturally would mean that I’d get duplicate entries for much of my music.

As it stands now, I could just turn off MP3 file archival, but on the other hand, I will probably end up storing MP3s I could not obtain as Apple Lossless, but by simply turning off MP3 support in scans, I will not be able to catalog and stream the MP3 files I *DO* want to stream.

I’ve taken a look at the mt-daapd code to consider possibly just telling mt-daapd to ignore MP3 files with names that are the same as M4A files in the same directory, but I somehow doubt this will be as easy (you’re probably using a list).

Hence, how possible would it be to implement an advanced directory configuration option such as /raid/music[-mp3];/raid/music/downloads[+mp3] or an option to ignore duplicate files in a folder (though I suspect you’d end up delaying list insertion until a directory has been fully scanned for files in this case)

I’ve also considered looking for POPM frames in ID3 tags to specify “My Ratings,” but that’s something I’ll end up implementing myself I suspect (since it’s very nichish to my needs, noone tags the POPM frame, and only in ID3 tags on MP3 files, which I’m not archiving anyway)

rpedde
    Participant

Actually, a one liner at about line 336 of scan-mp3.c would do the “dup checking” thing.

I might think about doing per-directory “extension” fields, but if I do, that won’t be until the configuration moves into the database. Easier to get that info from the db than it is from the config file — the config file parser is stupid, and I really don’t want to spend much time making it smarter, as I intend to move all the config stuff into the database.

— Ron

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.