Accessing music outside itunes library

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1874
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Hi all

    Sorry if this is a basic question, but have been searching for a manual or threads on this topic and not had any success.

    I use Firefly to connect my Roku Soundbridge m1001 via my wireless router to my Apple Mac running 10.4 and play my itunes library successfully. However, I was wondering if there was a way to play mp3s that I have on dvds/cds or in folders on my desktop. I have tried adding another music folder in configuration to a folder on the desktop, but I can’t access it from the soundbridge and am not sure if it is just a matter of activating the link or if I am totally on the wrong track.

    Any advice welcome. (including a link to a user manual).

    cheers
    Duff

    #13178
    rpedde
    Participant

    @Duffledorf wrote:

    Hi all

    Sorry if this is a basic question, but have been searching for a manual or threads on this topic and not had any success.

    I use Firefly to connect my Roku Soundbridge m1001 via my wireless router to my Apple Mac running 10.4 and play my itunes library successfully. However, I was wondering if there was a way to play mp3s that I have on dvds/cds or in folders on my desktop. I have tried adding another music folder in configuration to a folder on the desktop, but I can’t access it from the soundbridge and am not sure if it is just a matter of activating the link or if I am totally on the wrong track.

    Any advice welcome. (including a link to a user manual).

    cheers
    Duff

    Nope, that should work. Just add your desktop as a music folder via the web interface.

    You’ll also have to rescan using the web interface, but that’s it.

    The only other issue is if it’s something other than the default types it scans, then it needs to be added to the extensions list. That’s really about it.

    — Ron

    #13179
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Hi Ron

    Thanks for the response. You are right of course, it does work. 😳

    I don’t know what I did wrong yesterday, but when I came back to it this morning it was working fine.

    I guess I didn’t give it time to scan properly. 😳

    Thanks again.

    regards
    Duff

    #13180
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I have about 19k songs in my iTunes, but I also have a huge collection of FLAC that I would like to play from other parts of the house using my ROKU.

    I am not sure all of the info in various places is correct so I am here to ask if my ROKU can play FLAC from my Macintosh using Firefly. 😀

    #13181
    rpedde
    Participant

    @hothead wrote:

    I have about 19k songs in my iTunes, but I also have a huge collection of FLAC that I would like to play from other parts of the house using my ROKU.

    I am not sure all of the info in various places is correct so I am here to ask if my ROKU can play FLAC from my Macintosh using Firefly. 😀

    Not using the pre-built binary. To do flac, you’ll need to build from source using fink libraries. But it’s possible.

    #13182
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I might be able to build it using fink libraries, but I might also lose my mind in the process!

    From what I have read there is FLAC support on the PC side… any plans to add flac support on the mac side, or is iTunes in the way? 😉

    #13183
    rpedde
    Participant

    @hothead wrote:

    I might be able to build it using fink libraries, but I might also lose my mind in the process!

    From what I have read there is FLAC support on the PC side… any plans to add flac support on the mac side, or is iTunes in the way? 😉

    The issue is libraries… particularly with being able to build and provide libraries for both ppc and intel.

    The sheer number of libraries from fink that flac links to is huge. To have to compile all of them for both ppc and make and turn them into a universal is daunting.

    They have a framework that’s universal. I might hack support for the mac framework, but that’s a post-1.2 issue. As is growl and sparkle support.

    — Ron

    #13184
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Thanks. That is probably somewhat the reason for no FLAC support in iTunes. Guess I’ll stay tuned!

    :respect:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.