Accessing a remote Firefly from a Soundbridge using Avahi

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Accessing a remote Firefly from a Soundbridge using Avahi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there,

I’m trying to access a remote Firefly server with my Soundbridge. As a first try I set up a Rendezvous Proxy on my Windows box and everything worked find. Since I’m running a Linux based routed which is online all the time, I tried to configure Avahi to advertise the remote Firefly. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to get this setup working. I dropped the following service description into Avahi’s service directory:

Firefly on %h

_daap._tcp
    local
    some.remote.machine
    Machine Name = Firefly on some.remote.machine

_rsp._tcp.
    local
    some.remote.machine
    Machine Name = Firefly on some.remote.machine

Avahi seems to advertise the service and I could successfully access the remote Firefly with iTunes. But although the Firefly is accessible via iTunes, it does not show up on my Soundbridge. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

— Wolfgang

fizze
    Participant

How is everything connected? Wired, wireless?
    What kind of network equipment do you use? Brand, model?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Soundbridge is connected via WiFi. The Avahi is running on an Ubuntu 8.04. The Linux box is connected wired. Connection to the internet is through a Telekom Speedport W701V Router.

As mentioned above: The same scenario worked using the Rendezvous Proxy running under Windows.

fizze
    Participant

Ah, I blatantly overread the word “remote” ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well, Rendezvous proxy is pretty much the only thing I know of that works with remote firefly’s.

You could achieve the same thing when using ssh, or openvpn to connect to the remote lib and using avahi, IMHO.
    IIRC someone has achieved this and posted about this here on the forums. (If it wasn’t even Ron himself)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmh – I read some postings where people managed to get a setup like this running using the howl-mdns-proxy. Other guys suggested using Avahi instead of howl.

And as far as I know Firefly itself uses a linked in Avahi to advertise its service unless you specify the -m option. So I’m wondering why my setup doesn’t work with Avahi.

fizze
    Participant

How is the remote firefly connected? ssh tunnel?
    You need to figure out wether the multicast packets arrive at your “proxy”, and how the forwarding works. If all multicast packets are forwarded properly, you need to find out that the same goes for the requests. Tcpdump is your ally ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

The remote firefly is accessed via internet (daap or rsp). The Avahi is running on the local side and advertises the service with its remote address. I don’t see any reason for the multicast to be transmitted to the remote side, since the advertisement takes place on the local end. Besides that – in case of general communication problems the Rendezvous Proxy setup would not have worked either. Same is true for accessing the remote server with iTunes.

fizze
    Participant

Hm, “via Internet” doesn’t really cut it for me here. Do you mean its publicly available? ๐Ÿ™„

I think that’s why the avahi implementation might fail, because in the cases I’ve heard of, VPN or SSH tunnels were used.

Besides, having a daap share publicly on the internet is definetly not advised. But then, it’s not my cup of tea.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You got it – I try to talk daap or rsp over the internet without any tunnel or VPN. The firefly accepts connections on a publicly available IP.

I think the problem is more a Soundbridge issue than a firefly issue. I wonder whether there is something missing in the Avahi configuration, so that the Soundbridge also shows the share. Since the share is accessible via iTunes the overall setup seems to be ok.

And I agree – from a security perspective this is not the optimal solution, even if the server is password protected.

fizze
    Participant

The Soundbridges definetly only allow you to browse local shares – that is shares within the same network. If you do run over an IP tunnel then that does that for you.

Setting up openVPN or even a simply tunnel with scp / putty isn’t hard. You should definetly check it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.