A standalone Java client: FireflyClient

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Add-on Software A standalone Java client: FireflyClient

• This topic has 186 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Osik
    Participant

hi caribou,

well done.

I haven’t installed it this on my server but running it on my Windows Vista and openSUSE standalone. Which works quite good.

Although i don’t like, java apps, because i think there are slow, yours indeed isn’t, this app seems a very good alternative to FirePlay which is flash based.

I found it annoying to connect to my music server for my own. And these “neverending” dialogs which tell me to do that or cancel/exit aren’t that good. The keyword is: Keep it simple, keep it stupid πŸ˜‰

Maybe you can give us, especially me πŸ˜‰ a howto install this on a webserver.

Thanks for an great app πŸ˜‰ and happy new year.

Greetz

Osik

rpedde
    Participant

@caribou wrote:

I have just published on sourceforge.net a java client that i’ve been using for a year now to connect to my home firefly media server from my work.

Wicked cool!

Do you already have the rsp specs? I need to transcribe those, but I just haven’t gotten the time. If you need them, email me at [email protected], and I’ll make sure I get them to you.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rpedde wrote:

Wicked cool!

Do you already have the rsp specs? I need to transcribe those, but I just haven’t gotten the time. If you need them, email me, and I’ll make sure I get them to you.

— Ron

Many thanks Ron, the mail has been sent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Osik wrote:

hi caribou,
    I haven’t installed it this on my server […]
    Maybe you can give us, especially me πŸ˜‰ a howto install this on a webserver.

This is, “as is” a standalone client which cannt be installed on a server as FirePlay or the DAAPApplet.

There are some developments with more priority before trying to implement an applet version of FireflyClient (RSP management, playlists,…)

Maybe in a future, I will release an applet version which could be installed on the server (which would then need much less configuration). The main problem is that applets cannot directly write files on the client filesystem which is actually the case for caching configuration parameters and mainly the songlist.

Thanks for your remarks

–caribou

EVILRipper
    Participant

@caribou wrote:

The main problem is that applets cannot directly write files on the client filesystem which is actually the case for caching configuration parameters and mainly the songlist.

Let me guess, Access Denied?

If you sign the applet, the user is asked for permission when running the applet. When the user agrees, the applet does have write access to the client filesystem. πŸ™‚

Anonymous
    Inactive

@EVILRipper wrote:

Let me guess, Access Denied?

If you sign the applet, the user is asked for permission when running the applet. When the user agrees, the applet does have write access to the client filesystem. πŸ™‚

Thanks a lot!
    I had read something about it but I never tested this. I’ve never written applets before in fact! I will take a closer look…
    But that’s not the priority, there are several steps before that:
    – RSP based version is on the run (higher priority for svn-1696 compatibility on NSLU2) + minor enhancements (error log access…)
    – Playlists management
    – add GUI flexibility (column selection, criteria search, minor UI bugs fixing, a ‘genre’ panel,…)
    – … and applet version
    Applet version could come earlier if considered as important.

— caribou

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just released a new version of FireflyClient : 0.2b

See: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=212642

This new release uses RSP instead of DAAP which should solve some problems with most recent version of Firefly Media Server (e.g. on NSLU2).

Changelog:
    - Use of RSP Roku Server Protocol) instead of DAAP XML.
    - Optional use HTTP compression (gzip) functionnality of RSP protocol (can be configured in the Preferences - default: deactivated)
    - HTTP compression can slow down traffic when server is not powerful enough (ex: NSLU2)
    - New functionnality : clear all saved libraries
    - Added licence to 'About' box

Any remark, bug report, feature request is welcome,

— caribou

T-bird
    Participant

Working very well on slug running svn1696
    Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just released a new version of FireflyClient : 0.3b

See: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=212642

Changelog:
    - Ogg vorbis playback support (no seeking, no cover, just playback) (thanks to Javazoom OGG Vorbis SPI)
    - Flac playback support (no seeking, no cover, just playback) (thanks to JFlac)
    - Manage 'Unknown Artist' and 'Unknown Album'
    - Fix the seeking to 0 problem for MP3 files
    - Made HTTP compression option default value to 'true'
    - Better cover display (scaling quality, manage multi covers and display first one) for MP3
    - Made 'open saved library' easier:
    - made a submenu with the list of libraries instead of a dialog
    - now tries to connect with the configured password (if any) and displays authentication dialog only if authentication fails
    - Made 'delete library' easier:
    - made a submenu instead of a dialog (+ separator and delete all)
    - Updated 'About box'
    - added a 'Contact' tab
    - updated the 'Resources' tab

Any remark, bug report, feature request is welcome,

— caribou

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tried out beta 3 and unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be working.

I am running 1498 on a D-Link DNS-323 NAS and I’m seeing:

SAXException while unmarshalling the song list (during parsing)

once my library (about 50K songs) loads up to 68% it crashes every time.

Client is running Vista with latest Java release.

Looks like a really cool app. πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 187 total)
  • The forum ‘Add-on Software’ is closed to new topics and replies.