8 processes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    humina
    Participant

Why is it that when I start mt-daapd that there are 8 processes started? (seen by using the ps aux command) Is there any way to reduce mt-daapd’s footprint on my NSLU’s meager resources?

rpedde
    Participant

@humina wrote:

Why is it that when I start mt-daapd that there are 8 processes started? (seen by using the ps aux command) Is there any way to reduce mt-daapd’s footprint on my NSLU’s meager resources?

There are really only two processes — the daap server and the bonjour advertiser. The rest are threads. The memory that shows up as “per-process” is really total, since the text and code pages are shared by all the threads.

So it’s really less ugly than it looks. What you are seeing is just an artifact of the older linuxthreads implementation.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

@ Ron: I like your use of the word “artifact” 😀

Anywho, do not try to use Windows’s measures when you look at “top” or “ps” output on the NSLU2. Linux really allocates ALL physical available memory. If applications do not require it, it becomes IO cache or the likes. So you will never really see heaps of “free” memory in Linux. Especially on the NSLU2.
    Don’t think twice, it’s alright 😉

humina
    Participant

cool thanks. I saw a bunch of processes and thought that in total they were eating up about half my slugs memory just sitting there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.