20051117 – Playlist Questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    politby

I’ve been running 0.2.1 for quite a while and I love it! I just upgraded to the latest nightly version (2005-11-17) because I wanted to test out the playlist functionality. I have a couple of questions – my apologies if they have been answered elsewhere.

1) Is the Playlist Wizard supposed to work? Clicking on the button does
    nothing (I’m using Firefox 1.5)
    2) I’m using iTunes on a Windows machine to manage my music library which
    is on an NSLU2 where mt-daapd is running. iTunes keeps its library on
    the Windows machine (in My Music). Can I:
    a) copy the iTunes library to the NSLU2 and get mt-daapd to pick up
    playlists from it?
    b) point iTunes to the mt-daapd server and create playlists from iTunes
    or do playlists always have to be created directly on the mt-daapd
    server?

Thanks,
    P O Litby
    Stockholm, Sweden

politby

Replying to my own post. Just ocurred to me that maybe I could fool iTunes into keeping its library files on the NSLU2 by changing the location of the My DocumentsMy Music folder on the PC. Would this work?

/POL

rpedde
    Participant

That works, but it doesn’t keep the iTunes xml file in the same place as the music. So you’ll have to copy the “iTunes Music Library.xml” over to the slug.

Otherwise, that would work okay.

You could maybe use a batch file as a startup or shutdown script to copy the xml file, or perhaps run it as a scheduled task.

If you could get the .xml file copied over there periodically, then you be able to manage playlists on iTunes and have them reflected on the slug.

— Ron

velociped
    Participant

Ron covered your options as they pertain to your first post. It will be necessary for you to periodically copy your .xml file over to the root level of the tree containing the music tracks for mt-daapd to use it as the basis for playlists.

Regarding your follow-up post, this type of set-up has been covered several times in the forum. Here is but one. It is not so much “fooling” iTunes into thinking its library resides on another server. Rather, mount the directory as a network volume (use “Map network drive…” from Tools and point iTunes to that share as the location of the library.

–Herman

rpedde
    Participant

And as far as the “popup doesn’t work”, copy smartpopup.html from the “admin-root” directory of the distribution to /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root (or wherever your admin-root is).

Forgot to copy that on install, but is fixed in cvs.

– Ron

politby

rpedde wrote:

That works, but it doesn’t keep the iTunes xml file in the same place as the music. So you’ll have to copy the “iTunes Music Library.xml” over to the slug.

Otherwise, that would work okay.

You could maybe use a batch file as a startup or shutdown script to copy the xml file, or perhaps run it as a scheduled task.

If you could get the .xml file copied over there periodically, then you be able to manage playlists on iTunes and have them reflected on the slug.

— Ron

Well, what I meant was having iTunes keep its library files (e.g. the xml file) on the NSLU2 by pointing relocating the My Music folder on the PC. Tried this, but apparently Windows doesn’t like those directories to be on mapped drives so that didn’t work. The other reason I guess it won’t work would be because the .xml file would be in the iTunes directory and not on the root music level of the NSLU2.

/POL

politby

rpedde wrote:

And as far as the “popup doesn’t work”, copy smartpopup.html from the “admin-root” directory of the distribution to /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root (or wherever your admin-root is).

Forgot to copy that on install, but is fixed in cvs.

– Ron

Already have a smartpopup.html in

/opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root

Is that where it should be?

/POL

rpedde
    Participant

Oops… yeah.. sorry. It’s “mt-daapd.js” that you need. My bad. Got *that* fixed. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.