1518 on Vista

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dscycler
    Participant

1518 still does not install properly. I have included some of the Windows Application log descriptions.

++++++ During the install
    The description for Event ID 4373 from source Windows Installer 3.1 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Windows
    Not enough storage is available to process this command.
    +++++++++
    Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. Product Version: 8.0.50727.42. Product Language: 0. Installation success or error status: 0.
    +++++++++
    Activation context generation failed for “E:Program FilesFirefly Media Serverpluginsout-daap.dll”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture=”x86″,publicKeyToken=”1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=”win32″,version=”8.0.50727.762″ could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    ++++++++++

This still looks like a version mis-match……

++++++++++
    Activation context generation failed for “E:Program FilesFirefly Media Serverpluginsrsp.dll”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture=”x86″,publicKeyToken=”1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=”win32″,version=”8.0.50727.762″ could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    ++++++++++
    Activation context generation failed for “E:Program FilesFirefly Media ServerFireflyShell.exe”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture=”x86″,publicKeyToken=”1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=”win32″,version=”8.0.50727.762″ could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    ++++++++++

The C++ 2005 Redistributable installed was 8.0.50727.42

I will be looking for the next try. Awfully picky isn’t it…….

x1g27s
    Participant

Same errors as before installing on XP:

Runtime Error!
    Program: C:Program FilesFirefly Media ServerFireflyShell.exe
    R6034
    An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

Upon clicking OK the following message appears:
    Can not initialise application (0xc000142). Click OK to end application.

belu
    Participant

Just an other version of the XPSP2-Problem:

Next to the end of the installation:

“_decode_pointer” not found im MSVCR80.DLL

and finish….

(MSVC*-files from 10/2005)

Hope that helps

Bernd

hans.t
    Participant

Same problem as user x1g27s: installation works fine, when starting firefly a runtime error occurs

CCRDude
    Participant

Ron: are you using Orca and its verification possibilities (Tools -> Validate…) when modifying your installer? It really helps since it shows warnings about things you don’t notice through normal test by installing on a single machine.

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

Ron: are you using Orca and its verification possibilities (Tools -> Validate…) when modifying your installer? It really helps since it shows warnings about things you don’t notice through normal test by installing on a single machine.

Not msi, it’s nsis, which is part of the problem. Can’t use the vc merge files. I did find the root of my problem though. The machine I’m developing (and commiting) on is running VS2005, no service pack, while the build machine is sp1. So I’m committing non-sp1 redistributables and building on sp1. D’oh.

Installing sp1 now. Hopefully this time FOR SURE.

Can’t really test it either, as all my machines already *have* the 2005 redists installed. So I can’t see what it looks like on a machine that doesn’t. Everyone could easily fix it by installing the vcredist_x86, but I couldn’t ask anyone to do it in the real world.

At some point I’m going to have to just bite down and move to msi, just don’t want to try and re-fix something that (until now) hasn’t been broken.

— Ron

CCRDude
    Participant

nsis? Oh sorry, I thought I had read that you would have something to do with Windows Installer 3.1, which lead me to think it would’ve been a msi installer.

nsis is very good in creating installers with small overhead, but a pain to write proper scripts for it really.

msi isn’t much better really if you use the open source WiX stuff from Microsoft, loads of XML that – just to keep it purely a database – gets unnecessarily complicated and illogical in many places.

the best free installer I’ve seen so far is InnoSetup, which I have in use for years now. Scripts that are easy to read, useful help file, and an engine that is well thought through (e.g. allows simple registration of libraries, clear version handling, file replacement handling, good uninstaller, etc.).

the only reason I started using msi (in parallel to a innosetup installer) recently was that msi is a requirement for the Certified for Vista logo program.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.