1376, m4a, art_filename crashed Roku SoundBridge

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback 1376, m4a, art_filename crashed Roku SoundBridge

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GAPi
    Participant

I’ve been using nightlies for a while on my NSLU2. I’ve just set up enabled ‘art_filename = albumart.jpg’ for the first time on 1376. I tried playing songs from NSLU2 using iTunes for Windows. Everything went fine. I got the album art displayed as expected.

The problem is when I streamed songs to my Roku SB M1000. The .m4a files with albumart.jpg in their folder rebooted/crashed the SB (.mp3 with albumart.jpg seems OK, though.) before anything was played. Just locked up at the beginning of the song. Then, I tried installing Firefly on my Windows XP and streaming songs to the SB. The very same thing happened to the SB.

So, I commented out ‘art_filename’ and all .m4a seem to work on the SB once again from both NSLU2 and Windows.

I don’t know if the problem is the client side (the FW on the SB) or the server side.

blamm
    Participant

Hi,

I have been wondering what this setting does. Presumably it doesnt work for stuff that Firefly transcodes?

B

GAPi
    Participant

@blamm wrote:

Hi,

I have been wondering what this setting does. Presumably it doesnt work for stuff that Firefly transcodes?

B

Enabling “art_filename = albumart.jpg” allows Firefly to read the file in a folder and send it over to iTunes as a cover image.

I don’t know if it is the Firefly transcode or not. It could be that the SoundBridge doesn’t recognize the cover art which is transmitted as a header of each .m4a. So, it might be the client. That’s my guess.

rpedde
    Participant

@GAPi wrote:

@blamm wrote:

Hi,

B

Enabling “art_filename = albumart.jpg” allows Firefly to read the file in a folder and send it over to iTunes as a cover image.

I don’t know if it is the Firefly transcode or not. It could be that the SoundBridge doesn’t recognize the cover art which is transmitted as a header of each .m4a. So, it might be the client. That’s my guess.

Still would think it should work… very possibly it’s borking the headers or something. Strange that iTunes is okay with it.

blamm
    Participant

Should this work with files that Firefly transcodes?

grommet
    Participant

No. .WAV, which Firefly transcodes to, does not support embedded Album Art… or any metadata.

blamm
    Participant

Thanks.

How does the metadata get to the Soundbridge then?

rpedde
    Participant

@blamm wrote:

Thanks.

How does the metadata get to the Soundbridge then?

It gets the metadata from the original container, and that’s what it reports to the soundbridge as the song metadata when it asks. iTunes doesn’t ask for the album art metadata, though, it gets it from the song itself.

— Ron

blamm
    Participant

Hi.

Would it work if I transcoded to MP3 or streamed FLAC (if ROku supported it?)

B

rpedde
    Participant

@blamm wrote:

Hi.

Would it work if I transcoded to MP3 or streamed FLAC (if ROku supported it?)

B

Not the way it works now… it gets converted to wav (with no tags) and then back to mp3, (even assuming that firefly would transcode to mp3, which it doesn’t).

So it would end up with no id3 tags again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.