Reply To: some ratings not getting read from iTunes library

dougyp
Participant

Hello,

This isn’t a direct answer but I suspect you have a similar problem that I’ve been trying to trudge through (I haven’t had time to focus on it to submit it to the forums but maybe someone knows what’s going on?).

I suspect that you’ve got a case-sensitivity issue/incompatibility between iTunes and the Unix path/filenames. I’ve taken 2 samples from your log:

1) path=’/public/mp3/Beck/One Foot in the Grave/04 Burnt Orange Peel.mp3′ and idx=0

2) file://localhost/Users/jason/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Beck/One Foot In The Grave/Cyanide Breath Mint.mp3

Notice that the directory for one of the files is “…In The Grave…” and the other one is “…in the Grave…”.

Unix is of course case-sensitive and as near as I can tell iTunes is not (well – windows certainly isn’t). I think when iTunes is running on your PC (I assume windows – ouch!). That it doesn’t matter “in the” versus “In The” becuase Windows will find the file either way. But Unix won’t…

Now, that said – I do think that Firefly is somewhat inteligent here – at least it seems to find the files sometimes – but I have definitely found that many of my MP3 files end up missing from all the playlists and in the couple of samples that I’ve debugged to the lowest level -it’s ended up being a case-sensitive issue…

I also noticed that when I upgraded to a more recent version (maybe a month ago), things were much better but still not 100%.

To top it off – Windows and iTunes under windows aren’t very cooperative when you try to fix the case of the folder or MP3 file. Sometimes it takes, sometimes not. And when you are dealing with 12,000 songs it’s almost impossible to debug all the problems.

Anyone else seen case-sensitivity issues and found ways to fix? I HAVE searched around but not come up with a thread that sounded like my issue. But there’s always that good chance that I missed something.