Reply To: Smart Playlist

rpedde
Participant

@sruckh wrote:

Ultimately I would like to use something like: Year after 52 weeks before today.

That’s: “year=2007”

You are right in that it doesn’t update itself, though. It would have to be changed once a year.

time_added does not really make sense either. If I added all my 1950 songs today I really would not like those songs to be played in my filter “Songs newer then 1 year”. I figured massaging the OS time_modified field would be easier. Is there a better method for creating this filter that I am missing?

If you set you tags right before you add them to your library, then time_modified is the same as time_added anyway, so those are really the same time. So your argument (which makes sense) against time_added applies to time_modified just as easily.

I did not see the Wiki until after seeing the mt-daapd.playlist file. I was copying the examples from the .playlist file.

There are some small differences between the .playlist syntax and the current syntax. The .playlist used lex & yacc, the current uses a home-rolled rd parser, which can’t quite support the same grammar. So do consider the wiki to be the canonical reference.

Restarting the firefly server, and the DAAP client actually did finally produce some results. Not necessarily the results I expected but some results none the less.

You have to disconnect and reconnect the client to see playlist changes. Also, double-check your tags to make sure that tag errors aren’t what is causing you to see stuff you don’t expect.

Either I have not figured out how to maximize the smart playlist query grammar, or I am needing more features. Although the WIKI is very informative, it did not help me achieve how I would like to use the smart playlist feature.

Other than “Year=2007”, what else is it you are trying to do that you can’t?

The only things I think the current playlist implementation is missing is:

1. “Top N”
2. “Order by”

There are a convenience functions I’d like:

1. In playlist “x”

But that’s it. I don’t think there is much expressive functionality missing.

I’d welcome comments on that, though.

— Ron