Reply To: CAN YOU SET UP A STATIC PLAYLIST?????? Racking my brain

jtbse
Participant

I’ve tried the Win XP junction thing, and it won’t work (at least for me). Junctions will only work with NTFS file systems…my music on on ext3 and accessed via Samba in Windows.

Know nothing about Vista (and hope to keep it that way 🙂 ), so I have no idea how Vista symlinks work.

But the issue that I have is how to create static playlists with a Windoze tool that will work from Firefly on nslu2. I really haven’t figured out a way to make this process “transparent”. I always end up having to edit the playlist to modify directory locations, or other things before deploying for the server.

The best I’ve come with so far is:

1) Map the net share music library to the “M:” drive on Windoze and access things via M: with Win-based programs

2) Create a symlink called “M:” on the root fs on the nslu2 that points to the music library directories. (Can’t be created in the musiclib folder itself, because the recursion really confuses Firefly, and I need the “follow sym links” setting on config for other reasons).

So even with this setup, I end up needing to modify the .m3u files to add a leading “/” to the file references. I think Ron has said that Firefly is smart enough to convert “” to “/” on the fly during a playlist scan, but I usually do that conversion manually as well.

Am I missing something, or making all this more difficult than it needs to be?