Reply To: Multiple soundbridges accessing one or more mt-daapds

S80_UK
Participant

Just for fun (mainly because I can, but also to keep the wife happy 😉 ), I have set up my NSLU2 running several instances of Firefly (build 1511). In fact, today I have four instances running, each with its own settings and its own database.

Why? Well, there are three of us, so I have one instance serving for me, one for my wife, and one for my daughter, and one capable of serving anything. This way, my wife and daughter can find their music more easily without tripping over all mine.

How? Relatively painless. I created seven folders

All
Me
Wife
Daughter
Me and Wife
Me and Daughter
Wife and Daughter

Then I drop the artists and albums folders into the relevant one of these depending on who is to have access to that music. I set up four config files, each with its own port number, and each looking at the folders for the user for that instance of Firefly, and pointing to a unique database and log file. So for example, Firefly for my wife’s music looks at folders All, Wife, Me and Wife, Wife and Daughter. Firefly for my music looks at All, Me, Me and Wife, Me and Daughter. And so on. Then I just edited the start-up file S60mt-daapd to launch the four instances each with its own config file.

Start up takes only a little longer than before if there is nothing new to add or change in the databases.

And this is on a standard 266MHz NSLU2, transcoding FLAC to WAV for two SoundBridges.

Ron – Thanks again for such an amazing piece of software. To say I am well impressed is a major piece of understatement. It’s just brilliant!