Reply To: NSLU performance

rpedde
Participant

@uncleremus wrote:

Hello,

I have a LinkSys NSLU2 that I have “unslung” http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage. These things worked fine and I installed mt-daapd on it, the “nightly builds” and it works fine with my Roku Soundbridge. There is however one problem, the performance is quite lagging. When I e.g. “Brows Artists” I have to wait for a minute before all artists (~1500) are downloaded to the Soundbridge.

On the other hand, if I run firefly on a laptop with Windows, things are much better and the same operation is complete within a few seconds (and during that test I ran a compile simultaneously on a large source tree, so the machine was also under stress).

Are there any key tricks to make firefly on an unslung NSLU more responsive?

There are several problem with the slug — it’s under-cpu powered, under RAMed, etc. Turns out it’s really hard to make it perform well. 🙁

This particular problem, though, seems to scale okay by making an index on the fields you browse on. I was considering building indexes on those fields to help speed up the returns on browses.

If you are comfortable with playing around in the raw database with sqlite, you can do that yourself:

$ sqlite /opt/var/mt-daapd/songs.db
sqlite> create index idx_artist on songs(artist)

That should build the index, and it should use that index when doing browses by artist.

— Ron