Reply To: mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved] Reply To: mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

rpedde
Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

Yes I have sharing enabled in Rhythmbox, yes I see the daap service on in avahi browser, yes avahi-daemon is running.

@fizze wrote:

Just do a

sudo rm /bin/sh
sudo ln -s /bin/sh /bin/bash

Oof. That’s:

sudo rm /bin/sh
sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

Not the other way ’round. The other way ’round makes ubuntu not boot.

Sounds like, so far, 6.10 did more bad than good… Since I was kind of messing around with this system, I haven’t any critical data to lose doing a format / re-install (if that is the only solution). If I have to do that, I’ll probably wait for the Edgy binaries for Firefly before trying again.

You can probably hit “e” at the boot menu (assuming it’s grub), go down to the line that has the kernel parameters and add an ” init=/bin/dash” to the end of the line (not including the quotes), Hit escape, then b to boot, and you should get dropped into a shell. Then do:

cd /bin
rm /bin/sh
ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

Then do a shutdown and reboot. (/sbin/shutdown -rf now). Should probably come up.

Too bad that there’s no walkthrough installation doc available for 6.10 (like this guy did for 6.06). It seems that a lot changed in the latest version of Ubuntu, and this is affecting how Firefly is to be installed and how it works. Too bad, because Ubuntu seems to be a successful Linux distro.

Well, once we’re done, then that’s what this thread will be. We’ve already learned about how not to wipe out /bin/sh. :-/

I’m learning, but it’s a painful process! 🙂

Ultimately worthwhile, I hope. 🙂

I always seem to learn my best lessons by breaking things.