Reply To: Preventing full reload

rpedde
Participant

@NeomaD wrote:

Ok, I get the messege. Ill try to not start the server when my NAS is offline.

Sorry. Just hit me wrong somehow. This is software I’ve been working on for something like three years, off and on. Mostly on. I spend somewhere around 12 to 15 hours a week answering forum posts and emails. I *try* to do some coding every day on it (although forum volume lately has slow me down significantly).

My point is that I have a lot of time and effort invested in this, and I take it very personally. So when I read your post, I somehow internalized something like: “This isn’t even good enough for free software. It sucks. You suck.”

I realize you probably didn’t mean it that way, but I manged to spin myself up a bit. Sorry. So perhaps I was a bit snippy. 😳

I was just thinking, Its allright that it starts over again if the media isnt there, BUT if it cant contact the place where the media should be eg D: or my NAS, then it maybe should react in another way.

Maybe. But it’s a much harder problem that it appears. In the case of a windows machine, maybe it’s fairly easy. But to generalize that to a headless nas box sitting in a closet. Thats harder.

Plus, my point about mechanism versus policy meant that you never know what the right thing is.

What if someone were using it to plug and unplug an iPod. Such that when they plugged in the iPod, it indexed it and the songs were available in the music server. But when they undocked it, they disappeared. It would be a misfeature to keep the songs around in that case, or to bug them about whether or not they really wanted to remove the files.

Or (like me), some people might have an “incoming” folder, where stuff gets put when it gets… uh… ripped from an appropriately purchased CD, and digitized only for personal archival use, or other fair use. (eek!)

Once it gets tagged, arted, and verified, then I move it into my collection. But I don’t want songs I delete (or move into my main collection) still in the database from their old location in the /incoming folder.

So to me, mechanism versus policy would suggest that the computer doesn’t know how you are using it, and that you have to make that decision yourself. In this case, a reasonable thing to do might be to suppress scanning at all, and only scan when you know the device is online and has updated music (skip_initial set to 1, scan_interval set to 0, scan via the web interface). Or use a script to determine when the disk goes online, and start the server and kick off a manual scan. Then stop the server when the disk goes offline (again, via a script).

Or any number of other solutions. But I don’t like solving problems based on a single use-case that isn’t shared by everyone else. That’s all I was really getting at. (plus extra snippiness, of course).

And my second question still is a mystery? Why dont it index all my songs??
Is there some advice for me?

It’s either that the user the server is running as doesn’t have permissions to the files in question (hint: change the user it runs as in control panel -> administrative tools -> services -> firefly media server -> properties -> Logon)

or…

It’s a file type (.flac, .ogg, .wma, etc) that isn’t in the “extensions” config variable.

Thx again for great job with the server and answering my questions!
//Martin

np. Sorry to be a dick. Didn’t really mean to, just sometimes stuff just hits me wrong. 🙂

Peace.

— Ron