Reply To: Access ones remote medialibrary using firefly and a roku

mas
Participant

Hehe yes,

the password problem is solved btw. The problem was that if you once access a library that has no password set then the rokus remember the no password and dont ask for one even if later one is set. It just fails then. Nasty. It should ask for a password then but doesnt.

You need to factoryreset/unpower it then it forgets the bogus empty password and connect works and asks for the remote password again. Once the pw entered it will keep it and access also a password protected remote library without always reentering the pw then. Nice.

This is then also no issue under any copyright laws any more. No matter how weak your password is its not publically shared then.
Though most people anyway dont care about copyright issues IMHO.
Plus remote streaming of RSP streams isnt done so frequently yet so its not likely someone notices the open port anyway.

Sharing a _daap._tcp. does btw NOT work for Pinnacle sold rokus as they have no Apple license for DAAP. Plus even if your roku is a USA brand one you wont want to use daap I think. Its slower in my experience. I could notice a ca. 2x speedup in remote browsing (ok only subjective feeling not measured) using the rsp service over the daap one so I guess that is best anyway.

I definitly think this method is way easier and faster than running VPN networks. Simply much less to install and setup on the client side and remote side. If rokulabs incorporate some auto discovery IP in their firmware then it would even be noob safe. But its getting quite noob safe already now I guess – thanks to roku and firefly not implementing any burdens (unlike iTunes).