Reply To: Playing firefly stream over computer speakers

rpedde
Participant

@mas wrote:

I would say the only reliable method would entail timestamping packets. As long as their is no protocol support for such a thing its likely impossible.

Example: Try listening to an “on-air” radio station and at the same time tune in to the same station on internet. Easily 2-4s delay!

The only way around such would be delaying all streams by a set time, e.g. 10s, and send all packets timestamped. I dont know any protocol who does this so I think DAAP also wont.

The cheesy soundbridge solution to this is to let everyone fill their buffers and send a start command to all of them simultaneously, and figure that even with buffering, the songs will play essentially at the same time.

You could jigger that a little with ntp-style rtt estimations and stagger start times to compensate for wired vs. wireless or whatever, but that’s probably the easiest, cheesiest way to do it.

Some of the tech people at Roku seem interested in at least taking a stab at it, but implementing something like that would require work on the client-side, so it would be roku’s decision to work toward something like this.

I think it would be neat, though.

— Ron