Reply To: Network drives accessible? + other noob questions

rpedde
Participant

@Digital Larry wrote:

I was trying to set up additional paths using the Web client on Windows XP, using network paths and also mapped drive letters, without success. When I selected “Save”, I would get an error something like 500dirmp3 in a yellow box. (Obviously I am not at my system right now).

Yeah, kind of a stupid error message, isn’t it? Clearly the web error messages need some work. 🙂

Problem there is that drives you map logged in as you aren’t visible to firefly running as a service. The fix for this is covered here

Any sort of “shuffle” feature available? If I rip 10,000 songs to my hard drive, maybe you could play them at random?

That’s really the domain of the client. The server doesn’t really “push” content to the client, like slimserver does. The client decides what to play and in what order, the server here just serves the files the client asks for.

In the case of a soundbrige, yeah… you can do “browse->songs”, and play with shuffle turned on on the soundbridge. You could do the same with a smaller playlist as well.

What’s the best way to make a playlist?

I use the smart playlists that you can edit from the “playlist” tab on the web interface. Mess with the wizard-generated examples first, then you can modify them based on a starting point from the wizard.

There is documentation (kind of terse, but with some examples) here that can help you make more complex playlists.

Is there a way to make a timed playlist, i.e. play this song at 5:00 PM. Play the next one at 5:30 PM. ???

Again, that’s a client issue, as the server doesn’t “push” stuff to the client. Take a look at the Roku alarm clock though — It’s nice. 🙂

— Ron