Reply To: DAAP SSH tunneling time out

mas
Participant

Oh, wasnt meaning NAT Problems at all. If I want to access my mediaserver from remote then I simply open a firewall forward on the router for that port. I anyway need to do that for a ssh tunnel as I need port 22 forwarded for that to work.
So I can instead forward the ports that DAAP or RSP uses simply.
And the public IP one has is either pseudostatic or one can use dynip service to be able to reliably know it from remote.

No, IMHO what apple did was a) remove an option to tell the client side the IP/DNS name of a mediaserver to address it and implement that iTunes as a server will refuse a remote connection. To be fair to Apple that jackshit was likely forced on em by the Music industry. One can assume it was a condition for allowing em to sell their music via iTunes shop.

But well I wonder why theres still no way around it except tunnelling. Seeing that there are open source servers and clients for DAAP. If those 2 sides simply dont follow Apples way (and they have no obligation to) and do

a) Server doesnt refuse remote connections. Does firefly allow remote connections, provided the remote side has discovered the mediaserver?

b) The clients, such as GIT, need a program option to enter the address of a possible media server and try connecting to it as if rendevous had discovered it.

Shouldnt such be actually easy given a) + b) are arranged? And sharing the music not to everyone can be easily achieved. Simply setting a good password on the daap server should do or? Well once one dips into such remote access stuff one may be tempted to do implement some safeguards against hacking also then but except for that it should not be hard to do I tend to think.