Reply To: Debian/mt-daapd-0.2.4+r1376 and .ogg

Jxn
Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@Jxn wrote:

Someone what is the problem playing .ogg-files from my NSLU2-box with Rhythmbox 0.9.6?
It works ok with .mp3-files, but just ignores .ogg-filers (or jumps past them in playing list and marks them as wrong with a small stop-sign).
Most my media files are in .ogg-format, so I realy need to solve this. πŸ˜₯

It’s transcoding, and rhythmbox apparently doesn’t play .wav files?

I have to check if rhythmbox can’t play .wav-files. Do you know if I can download the output from mt-daapd with wget to a ordinary file? It would make testing much easier…

I think the fundamental problem is that iTunes would have to have oggs transcoded, and rhythmbox reports itself as iTunes, so… the files get transcoded.

Ok, so it’s Rhythmbox’s fault then. I’ll file a bug report on this to morrow (if I remember πŸ˜‰ )
I have a simular problem when I try to play with Banshee 0.10.12. On Banshee it start buffering a stream, but it takes LOOONG time to get it over (like wait 20 sek, play 5, wait 20 etc). It also converts the streams. Need to make a log and have a look at it too, now when I know what to look at πŸ˜‰ . But not now, I have to go to bed (long over due πŸ˜‰ )

There isn’t an elegant fix. There is a fix in svn that allows you to specify codecs you don’t want transcoded, but that will break iTunes. Your choice is to choose what client you want more broken.

— Ron

I don’t run any iTunes clients here, so it’s not that a big problem to choose a fix (but that fix isn’t a solution, as you wrote :().

Many thanks for the help understanding the problem though! πŸ˜€
/Jackson